Chapter 29 | Series of Events

Iman's POV

The moment I got in one of Zane's cars, I called Azim and he thankfully picked up after a couple of rings. 

"Azim, I have a question for you," I immediately asked.

"Woah, good morning to you too princess." 

"Good morning. I have a little situation in my hands, I'm trying to find..." I paused before saying my next word. My decision wasn't solid yet and I didn't know what else to call him. But, for Azim's sake, I was going to say it anyway, "baba. But, I wasn't able to reach him on time before he left."

"What? What are you talking about Iman? Baba's here?" He asked. 

"Yeah. I'm surprised you had no idea. But you've spent more time with him. I was hoping you'd know where he would've gone." 

I made a right turn, to exit the street and to go onto the driveway as Azim said, 

"Baba has access to my card, let me check if he made any payment for a hotel. Once I look into it, I'll let you know."

"Alright, thank you."

"Of course."

I hung up and made sure to make a small stop at my office. It wasn't far from Zane's office and I needed to get a few things done since I hadn't been in the office for a while due to my stay in the hospital. 

It only took me ten minutes to reach the parking lot and I got out of the car as soon as I parked it.

Walking towards the front doors, I was greeted by two of the men there.

"Good afternoon Ms. Iman"

"Good afternoon gentlemen" I smiled.

I walked up to the elevator and made my way to the top floor of the building where my office was. Eventually, I made it and placed my purse on the rack that was at the corner and sat down behind my desk.

Suddenly, my phone rang and Azim was calling back. 

"Hello?"

"Iman, Baba hadn't paid for a hotel. Turns out, he's paying for a month-long stay in a hospital."

I immediately reacted by standing up from my chair and asked, "What? Why is he staying at a hospital? Why a month?"

"There's something you don't know about him. He's been diagnosed with stage four stomach cancer."

I dropped my phone upon hearing his last few words and didn't even care where it dropped or if it broke. 

My insides began to twist and I couldn't recognize myself any longer. I just told that man to leave and I couldn't call him Baba. I told him he did something unforgivable when he was fighting for his life on the other end. 

What have I become?

Out of rage, I pushed everything off my desk. Even the picture frames and the decor. Everything. Glass shattered as I was raged and couldn't contain myself. I watched all of it fall and held both sides of my head from losing control. 

"Iman!"

I look up to see Harper running towards me from the door and she held me from my elbow.

"Iman, what happened? What's going on? Why did you do all this?"

"Harper, I can't anymore. I can't, I can't." I sobbed, unable to breathe with ease.

"Come, come here."

She walked me towards the sofa that was on one side of the room and I couldn't focus on anything but what was said to me earlier. Harper even caressed my back and soon, I heard a masculine voice walk in, asking, "What happened here?"