Chapter 18 | Last Time

Iman's POV

"IMAN!" Zainab jumped on top of me once I walked through the door and I thought I was ready for it but I almost fell backwards had it not been for Zane holding me back up with his hand just above my waist.

"Zainab, have you been going to the gym?" I asked her.

She just laughed it off and slowly went down from my hands.

"Where's mama?" I looked around the house to see no trace of her.

"She went to get some things for your return." Zainab responded.

That explains the nanny in the house...

After taking my shoes off and changing into the slippers that were on the rack inside the shoe closet, I turned to grab my suitcase from Zane but he stopped me.

"I got it. Can you make it to the couch for me?" 

I nodded and slowly tried to walk over to the living room where I sat down and rested my legs.

"What's wrong with your leg?" Zainab asked.

"Nothing. I just hurt it when I was traveling, that's all." I smiled, reassuring her. 

Then, I looked over the couch and called her nanny.

"Mrs. Jareds, you're free for the rest of the day. I'll be home to watch her."

Mrs. Jareds nodded and smiled, making her way to gather her belongings to leave out the door. 

"Goodbye, Ms. Iman." She waved before leaving and I did the same, smiling back at her.

Then, my attention turned towards Zane and how he was making his way over to the couch just beside me. He plopped himself on the couch and I looked at him in a what-are-you-doing kind of face.

"What? I can't wait for my mother-in-law to come back?"

"You seem like you've got all the time in the world, Mr. Zane?" I teased him, smirking and he rolled his eyes, slightly and said, "I don't but I can always make time for my mother-in-law."

"You seem really attached to her, don't you think?" I questioned.

Just then, we heard keys opening the lock of the door and I sat properly with my feet, dangling on the ground so she wouldn't worry from the moment she walked in. When she did, her eyes went wide as she held flowers and a balloon that said, "Welcome Back!"

"Iman! Zane!"

We both stood up and Zane tried to swiftly bring me up with one of his hands as Mama embraced us in her arms. One arm was around my neck and the other was around Zane's so both of our heads were stuck together. 

"I know it hasn't been long, but I haven't been away from my daughter for this much. Even her business trips only take 3 days." Mama smiled as we parted from the little hug.

***

"Phew"

I sighed and pulled a strand of my hair behind my ear after looking around myself to see that I had unpacked everything. Going there, didn't take much suitcases, but leaving took a lot because Zane made me pack everything he prepared in that closet for me. 

Mama was currently cooking in the kitchen after I missed her food of which I wasn't able to have in what seemed like forever. 

The wedding was also approaching fast but I wasn't entirely prepared, mentally, and I still wondered about those threats. But either way, I wasn't going to let some threat bother me, nor, stop me from changing my last name.