Chapter 14 | Reconciliation

Iman's POV

"I took it off." I sniffled.

"Why? Why'd you take it off?" He asked and sounded almost like he was actually concerned. But, he probably only cares about what others would say if I don't have it on.

"Because I found out that that ring isn't actually mine to begin with!" I yelled at him 

This time, I looked up, revealing my teary face and puffy eyes which seemed to hurt now that I actually have them open. I saw the expression on his face and thought, this man had the guts to give me a ring that he was supposed to give to his other woman.

"What are you talking about Iman?!" He sounded aggravated but I didn't stop there. I wasn't afraid of him and I didn't care if he was getting angry with me. 

"Wasn't this supposed to be Mariams? Huh? How could you think of putting this ring on me when that woman almost had your child!"

I threw the ring at him which was in my other hand but all he did was stand up and sigh in annoyance.

"When were you planning on telling me all this? Right after you married me and spread news that you're having a child with me?" I stood up to make him look me in the eye, "Or were you going to tell me after planning on divorcing me right when you thought we had enough time together?"

"Iman, I was never close to having a child with that devil!" He yelled and I stopped to look at him. I stared him in the eye, trying to read his sincerity but wasn't able to fully tell. 

"Then why did she say all that?"

"It's because she fooled everyone saying she was pregnant so that our parents agreed on wedding us sooner. She was afraid of me finding out her true colors and soon said that. But, I never even stayed in a room with her for her to have my child. I haven't touched her the way I've touched you!"

He held on to me, seeing me struggle to stand up with my injured leg but I still wasn't buying any of it until I heard an apology from him.

"Soon, I exposed her in front of everyone that she was never pregnant and that she was still a virgin by forcing her to go the hospital and get official reports. My mother had prepared her ring which was the one you wore, for me to propose to her in case there was a fetus inside. So really, I never was going to give her that ring regardless of whether she was or not because even if there was, it wouldn't have been my child."

I couldn't take my eyes off of his sincere ones. It was like he was begging me that he was telling the truth and I couldn't stand it. He had become my weakness yet he was also my strength to hold me from falling. 

I moved out of his grip to sit down on the bed but he didn't let me go.

"Zane, I want to sit."

"Not until I get an apology from you." He said 

I scoffed. "You want an apology from me? I should be getting one from you."

He scrunched his eyebrows and looked taken back. 

"For what?"

"For not being open with me. Had you opened up to me a long time ago while I was still trying to knock down that wall you've built for yourself, I wouldn't have been phased by the lies she's told me. The look on her face, she seemed like she had known you so well and it bothered me to the point I had to come here!" I explained. 

But, he looked away from me and tilted his head as soon as I finished. 

"Zane..." I tried to make him look at me as I suddenly got scared of his expression. But, what touched me was that he didn't even let go of me this whole time despite the emotions that were going on in his mind about me.