Chapter 17 | Goodbyes

Iman's POV

Zane stopped the car and I opened my door after a long day at the zoo. I still can't get over how much I sound like a child saying that. But, either way, we were both exhausted and now all that was left was dinner and then we'd be heading back to France, finally. 

"Thank you." I told him once he closed the door for me. 

Once the guard standing by the front door saw us, they opened the door for us and Zane helped me upstairs to my room. 

"Just text me when you're done getting ready and I will come back." He said.

I nodded and watched him leave through the door, making sure to close it before he did. Then, I walked in to my closet and grabbed the remaining abaya from the rack and put it on. It didn't really take me long but I was trying to take my time because I wasn't sure of what was going to happen once I got down there.

That's when I grabbed my phone and sent Zane a text.

Me: I'm ready

While I saw anxiously on the bed, waiting for him, a lot of thoughts kept escalating in my head. The fact that I wasn't going to be there as a witness was even terrifying than seeing a spatula in my mother's hand. Since they were going to do men and women separate this time. They always find the need to change it up.

Just then, I heard a click of the door and saw Zane coming in. 

"That's odd. You usually knock." I stood up.

"Yeah, but you said you were ready so I didn't find a need to." He said

He always knew his way around questions and found a response quicker than I was able to recite my name.

Slowly, he led the both of us downstairs and walked me to the women's side of the dining area first and gave me over to Shiekha. Before he turned and walked to go over to his side, I grabbed him by the arm and made him turn back to look me in the eyes.

"Hey, please try to understand your brothers once they speak to you today, ok?" I begged of him.

But he only raised his brow and turned back to continue walking, leaving me to freak out even more than I already was. 

Zane's POV

I walk in only to be greeted by all my family members and since uncle Saeed was the only person I actually trusted out of everyone in here, I sat beside him to only see Hamza, Hamdan, and Khalid across from us. 

Something suspicious was going on and Iman was a part of this too. But, the only thing I could do now is wait and see. 

"My brothers, tonight is the final night, my son, Zane will be feasting with us and be in our presence. May Allah accept his marriage and the things he has done for us during his visit."

My father finished his dua and everyone said, "Amin," to it. But, I didn't even raise my hands because he had no meaning or soul behind those words he recited just now.

Afterwards, everyone started digging in and devouring the food as they were all hungry but the food didn't suit my taste and I had eaten some things at the zoo just a little while ago so I wasn't hungry. 

"So, who's invited to the wedding?" Uncle Saeed asked, grabbing some rice off the plate. 

"We haven't sent out invites but they'll be delivered just three days before the wedding." I assured him. "And don't worry, you are invited."

I chuckled at his sigh of relief once I said that and grabbed my glass of water to drink it.

"So, how long has she been pregnant for."