Chapter 19 | With You

Iman's POV

It was slowly beginning to be after-hours so many people started leaving the building. Regardless of the countless times I told Harper to go home and take a break, she wouldn't budge an inch so now she's stuck to me like duct tape.

Currently, we were in my office. Before I came here, I had bought a whole bunch of towels and a solution that took off paint stains from any surface. So, now, we were wiping the windows. I'm glad I wore a tunic today because had I worn an abaya or a long dress, I would not have been able to move as freely.

"So, Harper, how's your life going? You never really tell me." I started a conversation

"My life is this building" She chuckled, "And I don't tell you because you already know. Plus, I have no time to do things that others do."

Hearing that made me feel bad for her. Did I stress her out this much? I must have tired her out to the point she probably forgot what a date is...

"I'm sorry Harper. I'll try to give you more breaks. I guess I was so distracted with mine, I didn't get to think of how you were doing."

"No, don't say that. I can't see myself doing anything else anyways." She said.

"See, that's the problem. That fact that you can't see yourself doing anything else. Go out! Have fun, meet a guy, get his number, and find someone that makes you happy." I told her as I slowly went down from the chair.

"I wish it was that easy. But, you already make me happy. Nothing in this world gets me more excited than your written check!" 

We both laughed at her remark and continued to wipe off the writings. 

By the time I checked my phone to see that it was getting dark, I looked back at the window to see we only had one more letter left. Harper, currently wasn't in the room with me as she wanted to use the bathroom so I started on the last letter without her.

But, the one thing that still kept rotating in my mind like an endless carousel was who could possibly want the both of us not to get engaged? I suspect Zane's family but we got all of that out of our shoulders and to think Mariam would even do something this smart was out of the question.

So, who was it? Who is trying to ruin this wedding?

"Ms. Iman?"

"Huh?" I turned to see Harper come with a bag of food which brought a wide grin to my face. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want any because I was terribly hungry.

"It's your favorite, chicken shawarma with rice and salad!" She explained.

"Thank you! I was wondering what was taking you so long in the restroom?" I emphasized the last word as she laughed and continued to set out the food on the coffee table that was right in between the two seats.

Upon taking my first spoonful, my eyes immediately reacted by closing and savoring the wonderful taste of food. It was that first taste upon starving for a while which made it taste even better.

"Thank you so much, Harper. This" I pointed to the food, "made my day!"

She bowed before sitting down, accepting my gratitude and started eating her own meal. 

Zane's POV

"She has not left the building yet, Mr. Zane, but it seems as though she isn't working either."

I furrowed my brows at his response and turned my chair to face him.

"What do you mean, not working?"