Chapter 13 | The Ring

Iman's POV

I stepped out of the car with Harper's help as she lifted the dress slightly from the bottom so it wouldn't get dirty or damaged. It was just a little longer than my actual height but I was still able to walk in it.

I looked around so see so many other women getting dropped off and some were covered while some were naturally uncovered.

"So there are also events like this!" Harper wowed at the place among stepping inside with other security around us but I could not help but feel uncomfortable. I already wanted to take the car back home.

"Salam Ailaykum!" A woman approached me and gave me kisses on both of my cheeks as I did the same with her.

"Wa Ailaykum Assalam" I smiled.

I continued to do that with so many women with Zane's mother on one side and the other wives of the king on my other side. Harper wasn't allowed to stand with me as she had no relation to the family so instead, my future mother-in-law held me with one hand.

Apparently, news of my injury had already spread through everyone in this building before the event somehow so people were being extra gentle with me. Once we felt like we greeted all the guests, my mother-in-law helped walk me up to the podium/stage where there were so many things lined up like fruits, sweets, and appetizers.

"People will come up to greet you and take pictures again so all you have to do is sit here, alright?" She assured me with a smile and after I nodded, she turned around to leave and go do her job.

Having Harper beside me made me feel more secure. Ever since being with Zane, I got used to having someone beside me and felt safe. But, when there's nobody with me, I start to feel afraid of my surroundings.

"Ms. Iman, you're very lucky. I hope you live a happy life and grow old with Zane!" Harper smiled.

I grinned, "Thank you Harper. You know, to be honest, at first all of this was arranged. I had zero feelings towards him and even hated him for the situation he forced me into. But, he's made me do things I never imagined doing and I somehow grew feelings towards him."

"Are you serious? No wonder. I was surprised because you hated marriage and you didn't like men who thought they were dominant over the female. And news of your marriage was so sudden."

I nodded, agreeing with her. She was right in every aspect.

But, both of us were disrupted by the appearances of three woman who walked up. They seemed to be either my age or younger. I wasn't able to tell quite well.

"Salam, sister! I'm Kafiyah, cousin of Zane."

"Salam!" I greeted her

"I'm Khalifa." She smiled and held out her hand for me to shake and I did so without a second thought.

I looked towards the last one and she didn't seem like she wanted to be here.

"I'm Mariam."

Once she announced her name, I instantly thought of what the king had told me about how Zane was almost to marry his cousin and her name was Mariam too.

"Are you perhaps Zane's cousin as well?" I asked without trying to make it seem like I was being rude.

"Yes, in fact, I am." She responded and made herself comfortable in the seat beside me while the other girls sat on the chairs next to her.

"We were so curious to see the girl Zane chose!" Kafiyah squealed but slowly turned serious when Mariam turned to look towards her. I wasn't able to see her expression but I saw Kafiyah's and it didn't seem so positive.