Michael Caesar

Caesar POV~

I grew up in Long Island, New York. I lived with my mom, aunt, and cousins in a small apartment we all shared. I loved New York. It was such a huge city with so many things to explore.

I don't actually remember how she died, but I remember my aunt crying one day when I got home from school.

"What's wrong, Aunt Charlotte?" I asked, worried.

"Your ma," She sniffs. "She's gone."

I remember crying. I was only 5 and my mom was gone. Soon, all my cousins (who were older than me) moved out, going to college or to live in Jamaica with other family we had. The only cousin I had left was Toni (Tunk). 

I was 10 when my aunt decided to move us out to Woodcrest, Maryland. I honestly hated it. There were too many white people and they all looked at me like I was some sort of exotic animal.

"Why's your hair like that?" They asked, lifting a dread with their fingers. I smacked their hands, scowling.

"Because it is," I'd say. "Now leave me alone."

I hated school. Kids always asking me questions, wondering why I was the way I was. It agitated me.

Tunk was doing great though. She knew how to fit in and she knew how to play the system.

"Can we move back to New York?" I asked my aunt. She sighed, shaking her head.

"No baby. My job is here and we're making good money."

"But I have no friends here. Everyone is weird and makes me feel different."

"Well, you are different, Michael. You're unique and everyone here isn't used to that. Watch you wait, you'll come home with friends."

Two years later I did. 

"Aunt Charlotte! I made a friend today!" I was 12, more than excited to tell my aunt about the "friend" I had made.

"Really? Tell me all about them."

That was the year I had met Hiro. He was the first friend I had moving to Woodcrest and we were really close. He never made me feel like I was different and we had a lot in common. As we got older, he grew to be my best friend. He hosted a lot of parties that I used to rap at, but when my Aunt found out about the drinking and how my grades were slipping because of these parties, she banned me from going.

"Sorry, Hiro," I told him. "Aunt C said I can't go."

We were 16 at the time. The day before the Freemans showed up.

"It's all good, Ceez. Ion want you getting in trouble anyway," Hiro replied. Through the course of time, I didn't like being called Michael. It made me sound like a white boy. So, I started only answering to my last name: Caesar.

The day the Freemans showed up was beyond refreshing. Finally seeing some black faces felt nice.

"Where yall been at?" I asked. I was introduced to Huey, Riley, and Jada. They were all dope as hell. Jada had told me Huey wasn't one to make friends and that he normally stayed to himself. Getting to know Huey, I could see why he wasn't one to make friends.

"You used to be a domestic terrorist?" I asked. He nodded,

"Had to let that life go, though. It was putting Jada and Riley in danger."

I was fascinated by Huey (no homo). He taught me a lot of things to help me stay woke with the world. But as I hung out with Huey more, I slowly stopped hanging with Hiro.

I honestly didn't start noticing Jada until I heard her sing. I only saw her as my friend's little sister until I heard the beautiful voice she carried and looked at her forreal. Jada was gorgeous. She had long locs, big beautiful wine colored eyes, and a nice figure. For 14, Jada looked great.