The rescue

Harry's POV 

It's only 6 o'clock, but the sun is almost fully down and the trees surrounding the manor cast dark shadows around the grounds. There it is, not long and I'll be holding Draco in my arms again. I know he's here...he has to be here. I take a step forward then- 

"Wait" Hermione says in a hushed tone. She quickly flourishes her wand, her words are spoken so rapidly I don't understand them but then I see the unmistakeable shimmer of wards just up ahead. 

"That's impossible," Kingsley frowns "all the wards were removed by the ministry at the end of the war." Shacklebolt edges close the wards not quite believe that they're there. 

"Well that proves one thing:" Arthur says resting a hand on my shoulder "someone's defiantly in there and whoever it is, I don't think they want to be disturbed"

"Well they don't have much choice." I huff, getting impatient "How are we supposed to get through now?" I ask taking a daring step forward.

I look at the shimmering ward just a step away. Its bluish tinge is one I'm fairly certain I've never seen before. I briefly wonder what will happen if I were to try and step through it but given that it was set up, most likely, by a death eater I'm not willing to find out. 

I look over at Hermione with an expression that now is pitifully hopeful. Hermione most imperceptibly shakes her head "I'm sorry Harry, I don't-" 

"I've seen this ward before," my head whips around to face Goyle, possibly the last person in the world whom I thought would know something Hermione didn't "this is the one we used last time to guard the dungeons, I didn't think it could be used to ward the entire grounds" Goyle grunts "must've changed it somehow" he shrugs. 

"Are you sure Goyle..." Hermione asked in obvious disbelief, with a look you'd give a small child who'd said they can fly.

"Never mind if he's sure, can you get us through?" I ask impatiently. 

"Oh sure" Goyle grunts as if getting through the wards hadn't even occurred to him, at which I roll my eyes slightly. I watch as Goyle steps up to the bluish outline and draws back the sleeve of his left arm to reveal his dark mark, then before anyone could stop him, he shoves his arm through the ward. 

"Goyle!" Hermione shrieks but before she can pull him back the ward began to shake and rippled until there was a gap big enough for them to pass safely through, single file at least.

"Bloody hell" Ron says "well done Goyle"

"Gotta go now, it won't hold for long" he huffs in reply.

I nod and step through. I’m quickly joined by George and Arthur, then came Kingsley, Ron and Hermione and finally Goyle who, as his arm left the ward, let's the gap close up. 

"Off we go then" Arthur says as if we are going for a picnic in the gardens. 

The seven of us head through the bank of tree, for a while the only sounds were the crunch of dead leaves beneath our feet and the heavy breathes we were all taking. All I could think was that soon I would see Draco again. 

Finally we emerge at the edge of a garden on the west side of the manor. Just ahead of us I can make out a small door that will most likely lead to a kitchen as it is surrounded by bins and bags of rubbish. 

I start towards it with a sense of urgency when I hear Hermione's persistent voice say "Wait!" 

"What is it Hermione?" I ask, exasperated. 

"We can't just charge in there! Just think for a minute will you, there might be someone guarding the doors" she huffs, as much as I hate to admit it and slow myself down but she might be right.