Chapter 20

Every second was a second towards death, and we all knew that. I had no idea how long we were walking but it must have been a while because I didn’t hear anything from Thomas and everyone else refused to talk. Not talking reminded me of Rennie. Was this the reason why Rennie didn’t want to talk to me all of a sudden? I thought he was the one friend that would always be beside. I guess life and death situations could change that. It hurts but I somewhat understand, but couldn’t he just tell me? Maybe we could still be safe, the both of us. If we all make it out alive he better give me a good reason.

     It just keeps getting darker and darker and it doesn’t look like we are making much progress.

 “Hey guys.”

Everyone stops and waits for me.

“Walking out in the rain may not be the best idea, weather wise, and I don’t think I can take much more.”

That’s all I really had to say and we started camp.

~

While Nicholas started a fire we all looked around for sticks to feed it. What were we going to do? It seemed that this Skull Rock was a lot farther than anyone could have thought.

“Hey.” I hear behind me.

I quickly turn around seeing a still drenched boy; smiling.

“Uh, hi.” I say still looking for dry wood to burn.

“You know, you’re really brave.” Thomas said while following behind me.

“How?”

“Well, you took the initiative to lead everyone while we had no idea what to do. So therefore you are brave.”

“Well I wouldn’t say brave, maybe sane but not brave.” I say with a small smile.

“I don’t know, brave suits you. You came to the island fighting for your life the first day, pissed almost everyone off and here you are smiling. I’d say you’re pretty brave.”

I turn bright red but all I could do was continue to walk.

“Well how about your first day? Why’d you come here?” I said turning around.

“Same as anyone I guess, I was just sick of living in such a shit hole. As soon as I heard about this place I knew that I had to go. Some regret coming here but it’s like I’m in control. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want and I like it that way.” He smiles and looks down.

“What?” I say puzzled.

“I haven’t told anyone that.”

“Actually I haven’t told anyone anything.”

“What do you mean?” I say again, still confused.

“Nothing.” He says with a big smile. “We should start heading back.”

“Alrighty.” I say still utterly confused.

“You know, you have the prettiest hair.” He says looking at me.

“Shut up.” I say rolling my eyes.

“No really-”

“Uh, Hazel?” Bae says looking a little bit worried.

“Bae, hey!” I say with a big sarcastic smile.

I give Thomas a small smile and I walk over to Bae.

“What’s up?” I say plainly.

“Were you talking to Thomas?” He says with his arms crossed.