Chapter 5:Early Morning

(Cry POV)

We're currently in the ladies' room since Dana forced me to go with her there so she can converse with me while placing the ice bag on the side of my face where Leon backhanded me. Some girls are staring but they cannot mouth off since Dana can savagely destroy them.

"Cry, this can't keep happening. You have to tell the principal or any school authorities about this. He has crossed the line already."

"It's okay, Dana." I said. I love Dana because she has been my best friend since day one and she has always been there for me. I used to be assertive back in the day but ever since Princess died, it took a huge toll on me. My fighting spirit kind of went down.

"Cry, I know you're still depressed about Princess, but if ever her spirit is looking down upon you right now, do you honestly think that she wants to see you get beat up?" Dana said

I guess she has a point.

"Why don't you just fight back for her or at least do something that will prevent that asshole from laying his finger on you?"

"Okay, Dana." I mumbled.

"Promise"

"I promise." I said as she smiled weakly at me.

"God, that scar!!" She said as she placed her finger on it. "Has your mother ever asked you about who gave you that scar?"

"Yeah, but I just told her that I got it when I was going down the tree."

"That's the most ridiculous lie I have ever heard." She chuckled.

"Cry?"

"Yeah?"

"I honestly think that you should tell your mom already about these?"

"She's working so hard everyday, she's exhausted and tired after work, and I don't really want to add to her burden." I quietly sobbed. My mom is the strongest woman I know, she does everything for us and became the breadwinner. She is also the peacemaker in the family and if ever we're feeling down, she's the one who always approaches us, which should be the other way around. She's so full of initiative, responsible and has a heart of gold. I love her beyond words. Ever since dad passed away, I knew that I always have to be there for her. I am going to work hard for her so when I earn a lot of money, my family is going to be my first priority.

"What are you thinking about?" Dana asked.

"Nothing, just how crappy my life is." I responded.

-----

After class, students went to their respective clubs and this is what I am excited about. Arts club is what I also consider a second home for me. My club mates are also very kind and they appreciate my paintings. The closest I am with is Jensen. He is the very first one who talked and befriended me when I was a newcomer here. I ran to my club room which is also merged with the other room which is the art exhibit. Seven of my paintings were displayed in the art exhibit. Some freshmen and sophomores come to observe some artwork of mine and my fellow members'. Most of them are amazed and in awe. It feels good to serve as an inspiration for some students and help them find their passion.

I have a lot of paintings that I am immensely proud of but the work that I cherish the most is the "Early Morning", which is also my masterpiece. Let me tell you the whole story, Princess is always a morning person. She usually gets up by 7 am in the morning and wander around the woods, since our house is near the woods, but what's surprising is she always finds the way back home. When she took adventure in the woods for the first time, mom and I panicked and nearly called the police and as soon as she picks up the phone to dial, Princess arrived at the door and says "What's for breakfast?" so casually, that our nerves and fear were forgotten and we all burst out into laughter.

"Where have you been, sweetie? We were so worried." Mom rushed towards her and gave her a tight hug.

"To the magical forest!!" She said excitedly.

"Honey, you cannot go there unless we gave you permission, okay?"

"Okay!" she happily said, but even though we told her that, she still kept going to the woods, and goes home at exactly 9 am. God, this kid is so cute and stubborn.

One day, I decided to wake up early and follow her into the woods. I saw how she entered the scary dark entrance of the forest so casually that it looks like she is not even scared. Oh my God! She is even braver than I am. I hesitated if I should enter or not. You know what, okay, fuck it!! I am going in. If a little girl can do it, I CAN ALSO DO IT!!

I followed her all the way until she reached her spot. The moment I saw it, my heart melted due to the sweet sight I am seeing. So this is where she stays all the time? Right in the middle of the forest, you can clearly see the beautiful ray of sunshine reflecting through the serene and small waves of a pond. There are rabbits and squirrels going near her as if they know her already.

"Hey there, Shelby. Hey, Pickle!!"She said as she squat down to pet their heads.

She stood by the side of the pond, watching how the wind blows the water calmly. The sight is so perfect that I decided to take a picture of it. Luckily, I brought my phone with me.

Then she heard the snap of the camera, Damn it!

"Cry" She screamed. "Oh no! You found my magical forest!" I walked towards her and squat down to give her a peck on the cheek. I sat down on the grass in an Indian style and placed her on my lap for us to indulge the moment of serenity.

"I sure did!"

She suddenly cried.

"Hey, what's wrong baby?! Don't worry, I am not mad at you."

"It's not that." She sniffles. "I just want to secret this place."

"You mean you want to keep this place a secret?" I asked.

"Yeah, because I want to surprise you and mom and kingly and queenie!! I want to bring you all here on my birthday." My heart clenched at what she said. She was going to reveal this place for us on her birthday. Isn't that the sweetest thing?

When we went home, I started to bring out my canvas and other painting materials. I started to paint the picture of her standing by the pond. After a good 2 weeks, I finally finished and showed it to my family. Everyone was impressed, but you should have seen Princess' reaction.

"That looks like me" she said innocently and adorably.

"It is you!" I said as I hugged her. God, I miss her so much already!

Princess passed away when I was still in freshmen year and to honor her, I decided to seek the approval of Ms. Maxwell, the arts club moderator in letting me display my painting in the school's art exhibit. She agreed and I was glad because she told me it's "one of the most artistic and from-the-heart paintings" she has ever seen a young student paint, and she also told me it could be my signature artwork if I ever get famous. Many students who are passing by along the corridor take interest in it as well and it fills me with so much joy. "Early morning" will always be my masterpiece and my favorite painting among my paintings. Through it, Princess' memory will continuously be treasured and she will be adored by people.