Chapter 4

Sophie POV

After we finished work around the island yesterday, we visited for a while. We talked a lot about what the near future holds. It's June, the beginning of summer, but also the beginning of the storm season. Downpours, thunderstorms, tropical storms, you name it. Huge waves ensue and the water typically rises from the amount of rain. I'm terrified of storms, hence why this is my least favorite season. All of the storms scare me so much, I don't know how other people stay so calm. I usually run straight to Sky and he holds me. I may sound like a baby, but I get so scared. When I was little, my mom went to the mainland to buy a couple things and left me with a caretaker. I walked away to chase a chicken and the caretaker couldn't find me. I also couldn't find her. There was a huge storm and I was outside and lost. I found my way back to the houses and knocked on some random person's door. She watched me until my mom came back. That's why I am so scared of storms. After an hour or two of catching up, everyone went to sleep. When I woke up, Sky and Pepper had gone to the mainland to get some stuff for my mom. The ferry left early this morning, but they should be back within the next hour. I'm cleaning and fixing stuff up with Ali and Lisa right now. The skies are clear and it is hot outside. The hotel has been mostly renovated and fixed up, so the only cleaning really goes on in the farm house. Ali, Lisa, and I are going through old trunks to clean and to find anything useful for the wedding. We end up spending over an hour in there, the doors closed. Once we finish our fifth trunk, we get up and open the doors. A chilly breeze greets us. I look up. The clouds are dark and swirling. My breathing gets faster. A storm.

"Sophie, its alright, calm down." Lisa tries to assure me, putting a hand gently on my shoulder. I really do try to calm down, but then the rain starts to fall. Lightning strikes far away. Thunder booms in the distance. I start shaking. My breath hitches, and tears slip down my cheeks. Ali and Lisa pull me into a hug.

"It's okay. Come on, we will go into the hotel." Ali says, leading me I the direction of the hotel.  I nod, still shaking and breathing quickly. I need Sky.

"Where's Sky?" I ask, trying to stop the tears from falling. Ali and Lisa look at each other.

"He's safe on the mainland, Soph." My mom says, running up to me, Sam not far behind.

"Inside everybody." Sam says, corralling everyone. My mom pulls me into a hug and holds me close as we walk to the hotel entrance. "Down to the storm shelters." Sam yells above the booming thunder.

"Sky w-was supposed t-to be back b-by now." I say, shaking and crying. My mom leads me down to the storm shelters before sitting down and putting her arm tightly around me as I sit next to her.

"Shh, Soph. The ferry was most likely delayed until the storm dies down." My mom tells me. I nod, still shaking and crying. A huge gust of wind rocks the building. I move closer to my mom as bright lightning flashes and louder thunder crashes. "He'll be here soon." She says, trying to comfort me. Sam comes and sits down on the other side of me. Rain pours down and I just get more scared. Even though I am safe, Sky may not be. I keep envisioning him stuck like I was when I was little. I just need him here right now.

---

Sky POV

I had to make a trip to the mainland today with Pepper to pick up some stuff for Donna and for the island. Once we have everything picked up, we start heading over to the ferry dock. I look up. A storm. Oh no. I ask the lady running the ferry when the next ferry leaves. She tells me it was supposed to leave in two minutes but had been delayed due to the storm. Oh no. Oh no. Poor Soph. She is so scared of storms and has been since she was stuck in one as a little girl. I have to get back to the island to be with her. Everyone on the island knows of Sophie's fear, so when Pepper looks at me and I'm panicking a little, he understands why. The reason the whole island knows is so whoever is nearest to Soph can help.

"We have to find a way over." I say to Pepper. He puts down the stuff he is holding and then places a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sure Donna's got her." Pepper says, referring to Sophie.

"And I don't doubt that, but it doesn't look like this storm is passing anytime soon. She needs me." I insist. "It's not fully developed yet, it's not even raining on the mainland. What if we use our own boat?" I ask, desperately trying to find a way to the island to help Soph.

"Alright, we are both qualified divers if anything goes wrong. The storm is coming from the other side of the island, and is just getting to the middle of the island now. If we hurry, we can make it before the storm reaches the sea. But we have to hurry. Let's take the boat Donna keeps here for emergencies." He says. We talk to the dock manager and reluctantly and after a lot of explaining, they let us go. Everyone on the dock tells us to be safe and we motor off in the direction of the island. We get a little over halfway to the island before we hit a little trouble. Rough waves rock the boat and we almost get thrown off. We manage to keep the boat floating and just speed towards the island. The water gets choppier as we get closer and as we pull into the dock, the rains have already started and are beating down on us. We throw a tarp over the stuff we brought over and secure it. We are soaking wet now. Lightning flashes and thunder booms loudly. Wind blows fiercely around. I can imagine how scared Sophie is. She really needs me. We tie the boat to the dock and get onto land. I run as fast as possible and Pepper follows behind me. I fling the door open, running into the hotel. Pepper slows down behind me and closes it. We are both inside now so I just go faster. I make my way to the storm shelter doors, and fling them open as well. I see Sophie, between her parents, crying and shaking. Sam sees me and moves over. I run to Soph and scoop her into my arms, holding her close to me. She puts her arms tightly around my neck, as if holding on for dear life. I kiss her forehead and 'shh' her lightly. Donna gives me a look that says 'thank you.' I carry her into the other storm shelter, that's usually left empty in case Sophie were to completely freak out. I take her in there to give us some privacy from other people. I sit down on the bench, with Sophie still in my arms. She buries her head into my chest. I don't mind though.

"Shh. Sophie, baby, you're okay. I'm here. I've got you. You're safe. Shhh. I love you, okay? You're okay." I whisper into her ear, rocking her gently. She just moves closer to me. I keep rocking her and kissing her forehead. She has calmed down a lot, and she rests her head on my shoulder. I gently rest my head on top of hers. She still has some silent tears slowly slipping down her face, but they are slowly coming to a stop. I rub her back and feel her starting to fall asleep. I just keep rocking her gently. She falls asleep on me, and the tears stop falling. I run my fingers gently through her hair and listen to the rain pounding outside. I stand up again, and Sophie adjusts herself in my arms, but remains asleep. I walk back into the storm shelter where everybody else is.

"Is she okay?" Donna asks. I nod.

"She's fine. She's asleep now. But this storm looks like it's going to last for a while, and it's probably going to get pretty bad. It's for the best if she sleeps for a while." I tell her. She nods and leans on Sam, who had moved next to her again. I sit down with Soph in my arms to where Sam was sitting when I left. She cuddles closer to me again. I rest my head gently on her and hold her close. Now we just wait for the storm to pass.

---
1522 words
A/N
IM TAKING THIS OFF HOLD BECAUSE I SAW MAMMA MIA: HERE WE GO AGAIN AND IT WAS AMAZING AND GAVE ME INSPIRATION AND I CRIED NINE TIMES!!
ALSO THANKS FOR 1K READS!!