Chapter 9

A/N UPDATES WILL BE LESS FREQUENT READ A/N AT THE BOTTOM FOR WHY
Sophie POV

After sitting together and staring st the screen for a while, we discuss how we are going to explain this to my parents. Our discussion takes a while, but about an hour and a half later we call my parents up to the conference room that was added to the hotel for businesses to use. My parents arrive fairly quickly, both with worried looks on their faces.

"Soph, is something wrong?" My mom asks quickly after entering. I smile up at her and grab Sky's hand.

"Something is uh...happening, but everyone is okay." I reply, not really sure how the two of them will interpret the situation.

"What's 'happening'?" Sam asks, drawing quotes around happening to show his apprehension.

"We need to show you something." Sky says. I slowly turn the computer towards them, the missing persons flyer pulled up on the screen. My mom and dad both have to lean closer to the screen to see and read what it is. I watch their faces as they read the information and process everything.

"Sophie, what is this?" My mom asks. "Why is Sky on a missing persons flyer?"

"Mom, Sky is going to explain everything from the beginning. Don't worry." I assure her.

"Alright." Sky starts, somewhat nervously. I squeeze his hand. "The first thing I should tell you is that my parents aren't dead." He says quickly, as if he's getting it off of his chest.

"You're kidding." My mom remarks. Sky shakes his head sheepishly.

"I lied about it. It was wrong, I know. But it helped me evade this fate in my own head."

"What fate?" My dad asks.

"My parents have had my life planned out for me since I set foot in kindergarten, if not before then. The schools I would go to, the 'friends'," he draws air quotes, "I would hang out with, the job I would end up with, and," he takes a deep breath. "they had even picked out who I was supposedly going to date and marry. I know my parents arranged everything because they loved me, and I love them, but I was seventeen and had never made any choices for myself. I longed to get away. The 'friends'," again with the air quotes, "I was forced to hang out with were rich snobs. I didn't like them, but I had to pretend I did." Sky informs my parents. "They had made me stick around this girl I was supposed to end up with since second grade. She was the worst decision my parents made for me. She was a cheerleader, and she was rich. My parents evidently really cared about money and success in my future, and completely disregarded happiness. This girl clung to me for everything. Homework, school dances, football games, you name it." Sky says. I have to mentally remind myself that this was all in the past, and that he is married to me now. The thought of him being with  someone else unnerves me. I guess Sky sees this because he squeezes my hand. I turn towards him and give him a small smile. He smiles at me and then continues. "I was seventeen, and I graduated school early because my parents put me in accelerated classes. I couldn't take it anymore. I needed a break. I had always wanted to see what this world had to offer, but my parents thought traveling was stupid and a waste of time. But I was determined to go somewhere other than London before I was confined to a small, stuffy office cubicle. So I convinced my parents to let me travel around and live in different places in Greece for three years. When I turned 20, I was supposed to return. I set foot on this island with one week left." Sky says. My mom looks totally and completely lost, and my dad looks like he's thinking. "I fell in love with the island, and with Sophie. I knew I couldn't leave. So I didn't. I ignored all the texts and phone calls. I eventually changed my phone number to get away. I didn't want to go back to an office job. I found everything I ever needed here." He looks at me. My mom looks like she's about to ask a question. "My parents must've figured that I would not come back, because I had constantly rebelled against their plans and restrictions. It hasn't really been a problem until now. I thought they had let it go. Everything was quiet for two years. It's only now that they are reaching out to find me." Sky finishes.

"Let me get this straight." My dad starts. "Sky's parents are NOT dead, Sky is technically not supposed to be here, and now his parents are looking for him?"

"Pretty much." I say. "The reason we told you all of this is so you guys can help us tell everyone on the island not to call this number about Sky." I add. My mom gives us a strange look.

"Soph, these people are his parents. They must be worried sick about him. If that was you, I would be losing my mind. We can't not call them. They have a right to know where he is. He's their child." She says.

"I understand your thinking Donna, but what if it isn't his parents?" Sam points out. I hadn't considered that. Maybe it could be someone else. But how would someone even get all of Sky's information?

"No, it is my parents. That's their phone number. I'm sure. Plus, how else would someone get all of that information about me. This is a mess." Sky says, looking down towards the ground. I squeeze his hand tightly.

"Sky, it will be okay. We will give them a call, and you and your parents will figure everything out between you and them. Everything will be fine." I assure him.

"What's the worst that could happen? You could assure your parents you have a steady  job and a wife here." My mom says. "It's not like they are going to kidnap you."

---
1022 words-excluding A/N

Words can't express how sorry I am for not updating recently. And I truly am sorry. My chapter got deleted, and had been getting deleted. But the main problem is how busy I've become. I love writing. I really do. But it is a side hobby and school comes first. Now that school is on full swing, the homework adds up to 2-3 hours a night. Add drivers ed classes until 5:15 each night and rehearsals starting at 6:00. On weekends, I have 2-3 hours of homework, CCT rehearsals every day and church and SPY rehearsals on Sundays. So updates will be less frequent. I'm sorry, but I need to focus on school. I will still be updating, but just not as often.