Body Double

Guilt, Innocence. Good, Evil. Life, Death. As the shadows around Riverdale deepened the lines that separates these polar opposites blurred and distorted. 'I'm guilty' Cheryl said in biology class. But of what?

"Hot off the presses." Alice Cooper slams a newspaper down in front of her daughters. Plastered on the front page is a photo of Jason and Cheryl with the title 'Cheryl Blossom guilty as sin!'
"Mom." Betty exclaims whilst Ellie, is actually impressed with her mother's work. "First you leak Jason's autopsy report, and now this?"
"People are loving the coverage." Their mom responds.
"You have to stop sensationalising this horrible thing."
"It's news Betty, Mom and Dad own the Riverdale Register." Ellie stands up, butting in on her mother's side. "They have a responsibility to keep the people informed.
"Whatever Jason did to Polly, he's still a person." Betty tells the two. Ellie knew all about Jason and Polly and what really happened, she witnessed the whole thing. She was begging her Mom not to make Polly go but after explaining everything she understood a little more.
"You reap what you sow." Alice replies.
"And you should be writing about the real story. I mean, what happened to Jason? I mean, who was holding him captive, why was he frozen? And who shot that gun on July 4th?"
"If you are so keen on reporting why don't you come and work with your father and me? The Register could really use a Lois Lane type like you." Alice snatches the paper from Betty's hand then walks away.
"And why do you look so smug?" Betty challenges her big sister.
"Me? I just don't understand why you're standing up for Jason. The whole family. Fucking crazy."Ellie tells her then walks out and into her own room to Skype Sweet Pea for a little bit before she was called to eat.

Ellie stands in the corridor of Riverdale High with Jughead as the two receive a text about Chuck Clayton's most recent Instagram post of him and Veronica but Veronica with a Sticky Maple. A stupid slut-shaming thing that the football team made up, something Ellie has had to cope with a few times. Suddenly Veronica raises her voice and storms off. "Well I don't follow rules, I make them. And when necessary I break them." Betty begins to follow her down the corridor and Ellie just smirks. Maybe Veronica's more like herself than she thought, maybe she should give her a chance. "You wanna help me get revenge on Chuck? Awesome. But you better be willing to go full dark, no stars. What do you say in or out?" She continues and Betty doesn't get a chance to respond before Veronica is off again.
"She won't. But I would love to." Ellie says as the girls walk round the corner and out of sight.
"Why, can't you at least try and stay out of some things?" Jug sighs."
"Nope, and Chuck deserves it, he fucked me over too remember?" Ellie reminds Jughead of the time that Chuck gave her a Sticky Maple where nothing even happened between them, they hung out for a while and that was it. She had the same thing with Reggie, the first guy she ever slept with and the first to give her a Sticky Maple. But it really did happen with Reggie and she's never regretted anything more.
"You want to come on a mission for the Blue and Gold with me?" Jughead changes the subject
"Ooh, yes. I'm in." Ellie smiles, placing some books in her locker.
"Perfect, I'm going to interrogate Dilton Doiley. The only other person near Sweetwater river on July 4th at 6am." The boy says and begins walking to where he knows Dilton will be.

"At ease Doiley." Jug says, approaching the scout group. "I'm writing an article for the Blue and Gold. Hoping you can help."
"Dismissed. But stay close." Dilton shouts to his scouts and turns attention to Jughead and Ellie.
"Cheryl and Archie both say they heard a gunshot the morning of July 4th, but they don't know who fired it."
"Sheriff Keller already asked me about this. And like I told him, my scouts and I, we didn't hear anything weird." Dilton answered quick, making Ellie furrow her eyebrows.
"Well did you see anything weird?" Ellie asks, taking a step closer to the scout leader. This is where Dilton knew he was being challenged so he crossed his arms and stood straight, challenging the blond girl.
"A white-winged crossbill, a long-eared owl... Oh, and Cheryl sitting by the river, soaking wet."