The Midnight Club

A deadly mutating virus had been introduced to the ecosystem of Riverdale, and it was spreading like an epidemic. For every manual confiscated, two popped up in it's place. And the ever-resourceful students of Riverdale High, were playing it everywhere. Why? Because for us, the game was an escape from our nightmarish reality, a fantasyland at our fingertips. but for our parents, it was a death-dealing nightmare.

"Two students have taken their lives." Mayor Lodge says to Ellie's class. "A third tried. The common thread linking these tragedies: all three victims were playing the game known as Gryphons and Gargoyles."
"Wait so you're admitting the game killed Dilton and Ben?" Someone from the class asks.
"Yes, Mr Hudson." Lodge answers.
"But where did G & G come from? Where did Ben and Dilton even get it?" Ellie asks.
"Well we still don't have many answers, but from the little that we know about it, the game seems targeted at impressionable, developing minds. Namely, teens like yourselves."
"Um, challenge accepted." One of the jocks says from the back, making a few people laugh. 
"Respect to the dead, but some among our flock are shepherds, not sheep." Another girl says.
"The game's quests are role-playing scenarios are specifically designed to foster delusion, paranoia, and ultimately violence. As mayor, I am officially banning Gryphons and Gargoyles. Mrs Burble is gonna be holding extended office hours, and I've set up a 24-hour crisis hotline, overseen by Kevin Keller, in the grade below. As a parent, I'm imploring you. Take care of yourselves. And stay away from this game."

"Newsflash Mom, banning something only makes it more interesting." Veronica says and herself, Betty and Ellie gather in the Blue and Gold office that break.
"Thank you." Ellie smiles as Veronica passes her a coffee she made. 
"And now this stupid game is literally all anyone is talking about." Veronica rolls her eyes, sitting on the desk.
"You're not playing are you, V?" Betty asks her friend.
"B, you don't make Fibes 20 Under 20 by prancing around the woods in a deer carcass." Veronica replies. "Are you and Jughead playing, or you and Sweet Pea?"
"No. We're still trying to find out why our mom and dad were so triggered by us having the manuals." Ellie explains.
The phone then rings and Betty answers.
"Hello?" She asks and then after a second tells her sister and friend to be quiet as the puts it on speaker. "Hi Dr Curdle. Yes, have you had any luck?"
"Per your request, I did some digging in the morgue archives. And I found something I think you'll be interested in."

After visiting the coroners office and finding what they were looking for. Ellie and Betty pay a visit to their mother to have a chat about what was found.
"Dr Curdle Junior told me, Ellie and Jughead that the circumstances of Dilton Doiley's suicide felt oddly familiar to him." Betty tells Alice and then slaps some folders on the table in front of her.
"That file is why." Ellie states, sitting herself at the table. "A case from when his dad was coroner."
"I am right in the middle of my affirmations, girls." Alice protests.
"Trust me, you'll wanna look at this." Betty says, opening the file and turning it towards her mother. Alice flips through it and the two girls stare at her worried face.
"Per your Farm 'testimony', you've clearly played G&G before." Ellie says. "Now I have concrete evidence that when you were my age, there was another suspicious death, maybe a murder, that took place at Riverdale High where the corpse had blue lips. We can keep digging or you can just tell us what you know about G&G."
"Alright." Alice sighs.
"Wait, really?" Betty asks softly with a small smile.
"You girls are right, you deserve the whole truth." Alice says, placing her glasses on the table. "If for no other reason, for your own protection.

-------------------------

It was our junior year. Phones had cords, Winona had Johnny, and everything smelled like teen spirit. The world was a different place, and we were very different people. Back then I was Alice Smith, my sister Penny Smith, the bad girls from the wrong side of the tracks. Envious hair, no real friends apart from each other, and one huge problem.