La Grande Illusion

Thicker than blood, more precious than oil, Riverdale's big business is maple syrup. Since the town's founding, one family has controlled the lucrative syrup trade, the Blossoms. They were a part of the fabric of our daily lives. Rich or poor, old or young, we consumed Blossom syrup by the bucket. That sickly sweet smell was inescapable. The death of Jason Blossom precipitated a crisis. With the heir apparent gone, who would inherit the family business one day? Certainly not Cheryl. It was a question that brought the wolves to Riverdale. And now the Blossoms were circling the wagons, against possible attack from within their own ranks.

"Polly won't answer my calls or emails. I get that she doesn't wanna talk to dad, but what did I, we, do wrong?" Betty rants to Ellie.
"Nothing." The older blond sighs. "We'll figure it out. Come here." Ellie pulls her sister in for a hug when the door to Betty's room swings open.
"Up and at 'em. Breakfast is ready." Alice walks in saying, very chirpy this morning.
"I'm not hungry." Betty tells her.
"Oh, enough is enough, Elizabeth. We have a big week ahead of us." Alice's two daughters give each other a confused look as their mother talks. "The Blossom's have always been a thorn in our side, ever since, according to your milquetoast father, Great-Grandpappy Blossom killed Great-Grandpappy Cooper. Well, it's about time someone brings them to heel. I'm writing a searing no-holds-barred take-down of their clan." Alice explains, very proud of herself.
"And you think that's gonna bring Polly home?" Betty asks.
"Maybe, maybe not, but it'll make me feel better. Word has it that the Blossom board of trustees has descended on Riverdale like a cabal of vampires. Why? Now that's a story. I just need to find a way in."
Ellie is slightly impressed with her mother's ideas but Betty just rolls her eyes.

A little later on, Jughead, Betty and Ellie walk into the common room to join Archie, Veronica and Kevin who have a bunch of snacks around them.
"Just in time, we're celebrating." Veronica smiles, placing a strawberry into her mouth.
"Archie was just telling us how he's going to some super exculsive music program." Kevin tells the three.
"Maybe, if it happens though, it'll be huge for me." Archie says.
"Do you have to audition for it?" Jughead asks.~
"Well not exactly, Mrs Blossom came by earlier, said she'd put in a good word for me."
"Amazing." Kevin exclaims.
"Terrifying." Ronnie says at the same time as Kevin.
"Uh-huh. What's she getting out of it?" Jug asks, already suspicious.
"I told her I'd take Cheryl to their family's tree-tapping thing. I already talked to Valerie, she's cool with it."
"Cool with you being a gigolo?" Ellie half jokes.
"I'm doing someone a favour for my music Ellie. I need to make connections outside of Riverdale."
"That's the way of the world. It's all about connections." Veronica says. "But Jug and Ellie are right, these kinds of favours come with a price tag. Betty back me up here." She looks over to her friend for some support.
"I think it's a great idea." Betty shrugs.
"Thank you Betty."
"Yeah, and while you're there, would you talk to Polly for me?" She asks, putting her hands in her sleeves as if she was nervous about asking. "I just wanna make sure she's okay."
"Definitely." Archie nods.
"Thank you." Betty offers a sweet smile back.
"And don't worry Ronnie, I can take care of myself." The redhead turns to the raven-haired girl saying.
"Famous last words, Archiekins." Veronica teases, waving a strawberry round before placing it in her mouth.

"Mom?" Ellie asks later on that day, whilst the two are waiting for Betty to arrive home, hopefully with a certain redhead to tell them how Polly's doing.
"Yes sweetheart?" Alice looks up from her laptop to see Ellie leaning against the kitchen counter.
"I want you to meet Sweet Pea." She sighs, her mother takes off her glasses and scoffs.
"I know who he is Elanor. He's a Southside Serpent. I know what they're like. When you want to marry him then come back to me." She tells the young blond sternly.
"But what if I do?" Alice scoffs again at these words.
"You are eighteen years old, how do you know that?"
"I love him mom. I really, really love him. He's so special and so lovely. I saw a different side to him the other day.." Ellie sighs, sitting next to her mom at the kitchen table. "He got in a pretty bad fight the other night, that's why I didn't come home till late, I was at his making sure he was okay. He then told me about his past, about his family. The Serpents was his only option mom. He is a wonderful guy. And that night I didn't even see that hard, tough Serpent, I saw the true him. I never realised how much he means to me until I had his blood all over my hands and until I saw him cry. Please mom." Ellie explains, pouring her heart out about her boyfriend.
"Ellie, I'll meet him, bring him round for dinner one night this week." Alice smiles, making Ellie grin widely. "Now would you please get the apple pie out the oven for when your sister comes home."