Requiem for a Welterweight

Gryphons and Gargoyles. Serpents and Ghoulies. Riverdale was a veritable jungle of mythological creatures, species jockeying for power, and at the dark heart of it all...

"Good morning sunshine." Is the words that wake Ellie and Jughead up. Because of the trailer only being a two bedroom, Ellie and Jughead offered to share the pull out bed in the lounge, while FP sleeps on an old mattress on the floor, letting the girls have a bedroom each. Gladys sets down breakfast for the both of them along with a coffee each, black with one sugar just the way they both like it. "Breakfast is served." The older woman says with a smile.
"Wow, mom." Jughead smiles sitting up to take the plate. "It's way better than the normal breakfast." He bites straight into a piece of toast as Gladys perches herself on the side of the bed.
"Thanks Gladys." Ellie smiles, stretching and yawning before she bites into her scrambled egg and toast.
"Morning." Gladys smiles to FP who just walked in, sheriff uniform on, ready for work.
"Morning." FP replies, stretching out his arm like it hurts.
"Sleep on it wrong?" Gladys asks.
"There's no right way to sleep on the floor."
"Do you want the bed?"
"No, I'm fine."
Jellybean emerges from the bedroom, rubbing her eyes and looking tired. "I need coffee." She says, reaching for a mug.
"You let her drink coffee?" FP asks, tightening his belt. He just earns a death stare off his daughter then chuckles. "Okay. It's fine by me. Help yourself. I gotta get to work. Hey. You need anything, call me." He says to his family and they all just nod.
After breakfast, Ellie nicks the bathroom first to get ready for school. She comes out looking almost like a different person, makeup done, hair done, clothes changed.
"You only took an hour this time, well done." Jughead smiles sarcastically as she walks out of the bathroom and he walks in. She pulls a face and shoulder bumps him on the way past, as siblings do. "You look beautiful though." He smiles before shutting the door, this makes Ellie smile. Jughead rarely compliments her, or anyone for that matter. She decides to grab another cup of coffee while she waits for Jug so they can head to school.
"Wow, gothic today aren't we?" Gladys asks, standing beside her, examining her black lipstick, thick eyeliner, messily curled bright red hair, black clothing and chains. Ellie just looks to try and work out if she's mocking her or not. "Just kidding, you look amazing darlin'." Gladys smiles, kissing Ellie on the cheek as she goes into the bedroom to get ready.
"You look really pretty." Jellybean says from the couch. Ellie doesn't know what to do with all these compliments she's received already.
"Thank you." Ellie smiles to her half-sister, who's watching TV. She goes and sits near her and lights up a cigarette.
"I love your makeup, and your hair. I wish I could do that." Jellybean tells her.
"I can teach you how to do makeup but you'll have to convince your mom to let you dye your hair." Ellie replies.
"Can you really?" The young girl asks, hope in her eyes.
"Of course I can." Ellie grins to her." Later."

"It was the weirdest thing, guys." Betty tells the Jones siblings later that morning whilst walking to a Serpents and Swords meeting. "My mom's usually rubbing the Farm in my face, but now she's shutting me out. Like she's washed her hands of me. Which is even more terrifying. And they're definitely up to some serious shadiness, like they're entrenching. I was trying to dig up some dirt online on the Farm and I couldn't even find a photograph of Edgar Evernever. Not one. That's weird."
"You really wanna protect your mother, maybe it's worthwhile just embracing this whole baptism thing. Or at least pretending to embrace it. Might help you keep tabs on her, make sure she's safe." Jughead tells his girlfriend and she just nods, knowing he's right. "Come on." He says, turning into the room where the club is held. They walk in to find only four members of the Serpents are present.
"Where the hell is everyone else?" Ellie asks, holding her hands out. She feels a pang in her heart when she lays eyes on Sweet Pea but she ignores it for now.
"We're down another eight." Sweet Pea says, not being able to look his fiancee in the eyes.
"Another eight?" Jug asks, eyes wide.
"All girls." Sweet Pea replies.
"Where are they all going?" Betty asks, sitting on a desk.
"Turns out Toni and Cheryl started their own gang. All the girls are defecting to it."
"The Pretty Poisons." Fangs tells them. "So what do you want us to do boss?"
"Nothing." Jug sighs, perching on the each of the teacher's desk and folding his arms. "This is all because I banished Cheryl and Toni. I just need to talk to Toni, get her back into the Serpent fold and the rest will come back too. They need to be reminded what it means to be a Serpent. I'll make this right." All the other Serpents, including Ellie, look at each other unsure.