Adonis

For the next few days, I did my best to keep a low profile. After school, I went straight to my car and stayed there until Steve left practice, and barely spoke to Billy in art class. So far, we'd mostly been doing one-day exercises, first sketches, and then paint. We did profiles, straight-ons, and, on Friday, Mrs. Mueller we were doing full body sketches.

"How do you want me to pose?" I asked, trying not to let any emotion into my voice.

"Wow, what a question." He came up to me, looking down at my face, then took a step back to examine my body. "I'd like you laying down. Maybe on your back." He gave me a covert wink and ran his tongue over his bottom teeth like he always did.

"Don't you think you might want a more standard pose, just since it's the first full body drawing we're doing."

"You're right. I really want to get a feel for your body, so how about I do you on your side. Right here on the table."

I walked up to him, pointing to some pencils like I was giving him advice about drawing, but actually, I was ready to rip him a new one. "You need to stop this behavior. We're in a classroom full of students, and my boss, are you trying to get me fired?"

"It's the only way to get your attention."

"Can we talk outside of school, maybe over the weekend?" I begged him, picking up a 4H pencil, one that I thought would be better for the amount of pressure he likes to use. "Please."

"Fine Miss Harrington." 

He gestured for me to lie on the table and I obliged, propping my head up on my right arm, letting my right fall across my waist and my placed my hand on the table. I was worried the position was too sensual, but I had no idea how to butch it up. And I feared if I asked him to pick a new pose, he'd lash out, or worse, expose me.

To be fair, he was very professional in drawing me, never smirking or letting his eyes linger unnecessarily. Occasionally he switched to a softer pencil and smudged the lines he'd created, but didn't touch his eraser.

"Alright class, please switch partners," Mrs. Mueller called out over the music.

With a quick excuse me to Billy, I went to talk to Daisy. "Do you want me to walk around and help other students, instead of drawing Mr. Hargrove, since I'm not being graded."

"No, you can still draw him," Mrs. Mueller said. "Between you and me, half the fun of this episode is being drawn by someone else. It's very good for the ego." She leaned in a bit closer. "If I'm being honest, it was my fault for letting a student into this class who would so easily be discouraged and drop out, leaving Billy without a partner, and it would mean very much to me if you could truly act as his partner, to cover for my poor instinct."

Jesus, she knew how to get to me. I would never behave in a way that would allow her to consider herself a failure. So I returned to my partner who was using his finger to pick something out of his teeth.

"Would you mind standing?" I asked him.

"Huh?"

"When I draw you, would you mind standing?"

"Sure," he said with a shrug. "Where?"

I pointed to a stretch of white wall, and we both walked over. At first, Billy stood rather stiffly like he was in a lineup (and I figured, with his temperament, he'd probably been in a couple before), and then he stood like a soldier at ease, but neither really peaked my interest as far as a creative staging went.

"Could you maybe stand like you were after the first class I helped teach?" I asked before I could figure out if it was an appropriate question. "With your foot against the wall and your shoulders relaxed?"