Drive-In

We reached 1k reads! Thanks for reading you guys, it means a lot to me, hope you enjoy the new chapter!

When it got too cold to stay out there, we stumbled back to the car. It was about five or so, but already getting dark.

"Do you have work today?" I asked, cranking the heat up as far as it would go.

"No," Sal said, stripping off his soaking shoes and socks, rubbing his frozen feet. "And there was somewhere else I wanted to take you. Not for therapeutic purposes, just for fun. Though, at this point, fun might be a strenuous exercise for you."

"Hey, I have loads of fun!" 

He only chuckled and started driving with his bare feet. 

We'd driven for almost an hour when I started to get nervous about where we were going. "This isn't someplace fancy, is it? Cause I'm not dressed for it."

"Do you mean because your clothes aren't warm enough, or because you aren't wearing a bra?" He peeked over at my red face and laughed even louder than before, scratching his beard in an undeniably sexy way. "Don't worry about it kid, this place is super chill You won't even have to get out of the car."

That puzzled me, but I decided to just go with it. There wasn't anything out there that could be worse than being at home.

We arrived at our desired location at half-past six, which wasn't too late, but, considering it was officially December, the sky was already black as pitch. And I realized we were at a drive-in movie theater. I didn't know if I was excited or terrified. On the one hand, I loved movies, even bad ones, loved to lose myself in the experience, pretend that their problems were my problems, that their happy ending was my happy ending. But, on the other hand, I was extremely on edge. Weren't drive-ins where teens went to hook up when they still lived with their parents and didn't have their own place? Then again, both of us were living with my parents. Wait, did he bring me here to make out?

"What movie are we seeing?" I asked, trying to mask my trembling. 

"Uh, Vertigo, I think."

"Wait, really?" I squealed. "I love that movie, it was the first one I saw at college, they put it on a projector on the quad. It's where I met-" I stopped short, remembering this was where mutual friends had introduced Craig and me. He'd looked so good in the purple-y dusk with his dark waves and wiry muscles. But what really won me over was the way he talked about the use of color and how it helped tie the narrative of Vertigo together. I nodded more often than I understood, but he was undeniably brilliant.

"I've never seen it," Sal said, either not noticing the way my voice dropped off, or just choosing to ignore it. "I'm not a big fan of old movies, or new movies for that matter. I think the only one I saw all of last year was the last Star Wars movie."

That was a tiny bit disappointing, but different strokes for different folks. We didn't have time to get snacks because we got there just in the nick of time. Vertigo wasn't a make-out movie in my opinion since it was so dark and serious. But maybe that's what other people liked about it: a long, quiet, sometimes boring movie to use as background noise for their hook-ups.

"Is there going to be an intermission?" I asked, feeling thirsty; I hadn't had anything to drink since before I went to sleep.

"No, but movies always play in doubles here."

"What movies up next?"

Sal shrugged, linking his hands behind his head. "I don't remember, but it will probably be something light-hearted, like a comedy or a kids movie. They play a drama or a horror flick first and then something more upbeat to end on."

"Do you come here a lot?" I asked, teasingly. "With lady friends?"

In the dim glow of the projector, I could just make out him shaking his head slowly and smiling. "Would you keep quiet, I'm trying to watch the movie."

Proud that I managed to get under his skin just a little bit, I honored his request. But the pain that I felt when I first thought of Craig and I watching this together had returned. It wasn't unbearable, but definitely not pleasant. I was almost relieved when the credits started to roll.

"I'm going to get snacks," I told Sal, opening the door, the cold air hitting me like a thousand tiny bullets. 

"No, I'll just have a little of what you have."

After I closed the door, I couldn't help but put my hand on my chest. 'I'll have a little of what you have' is such a couple thing to say. I've never heard anyone say that to just a friend. Except maybe Steve when I ordered fries. God, I hoped and prayed he didn't think of me as a little sister. 

"Can I have some popcorn and a ginger ale," I said. It was way too late for me to have caffeine or sugar. 

While I waited, I heard footsteps coming up behind me, felt another body's heat. With a racing pulse, I whipped around abruptly, only to find myself face to face with Billy.

"Harrington?" he said, running his tongue along his lower lip. "Deborah Harrington, I knew that was you. Goddamn, your ass looks good in everything." 

I rolled my eyes, hoping my order would be here soon.

"Nice shirt," he noted, glancing down at my chest, my shirt clingy enough to make it obvious I wasn't wearing a bra. I wanted to yank my jacket around myself, but I didn't want him to get the satisfaction of knowing his gaze got to me. "Were you relieved of a few garments by a... partner in crime. Maybe that lumberjack cousin of yours." Something on my face must've confirmed it for him because he nearly doubled over laughing. "God, princess, could you really not do better than a guy twice your age?"

"Okay, first of all, he's not my cousin, second of all, he's like, twelve years older, if that, and third, we weren't hooking up, we were just watching the fucking movie." I paused to catch my breath, annoyed at Billy's ever-present smirk. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Oh, just getting sucked off by Hannah the redhead in the back of my car. But I could kick her out if you want; I'd take you over her any day."

Before I could even respond to that repulsive statement, the concessions guy was back with my drink and popcorn. I handed him a five and told him to keep the change, not wanting to spend another second there.

"Have fun," Billy whispered as I passed him, goosebumps erupting on my arms.