Taking a Pulse

When I woke up the next day, it took me a minute to realize where I was. The main thing that threw me off, was the set of arms wrapped around my waist. That, combined with the uncomfortable twin mattress and the smell of alcohol in the distance, made me think, just for a moment, that I was back in college with Craig holding me after staying the night.

But of course that wasn't true; Craig had dumped me, I was back in Hawkins, my father had thrown a lamp at my brother and now I was asleep in a back room at Leila's with Billy Hargrove. 

And he had a massive boner.

I tried to move away from him, but his arms had an iron grip around me. And, I realized, if I pushed my way out of bed, I would certainly wake him up and we'd both have to deal with the awkwardness of realizing his... situation. So the best course of action, it appeared, was to pretend to be asleep until Billy woke up and then let him get out of bed and go to the bathroom all without knowing that I was awake the whole time.

So I stayed still and silent for a few more minutes until it became clear that Billy wasn't going to be getting up anytime soon. To help him out, I wriggled a couple of times, but that only made him cling me tighter to me. Finally, I bumped him in the face with my shoulder and felt him stir, grumbling incoherently.

When he realized where he was, he rubbed his face with his hands, mumbling, "Fuck me," under his breath. I was just glad we could and leave soon and put this horrible night behind us.

But he didn't get up like I thought he would. For a minute, I thought he'd gone back to sleep, but then I felt his face in my hair, felt him inhale deeply, his exhale hot and wet on the back of my neck. He slid his hand off my waist and ran it up my arm, playing with the lace on the sleeves. I just kept breathing, pretending to be asleep. Until he ran the pads of his fingers in circles on my neck, and I pinched my shoulder to my ear in response to the itching sensation.

"I knew you were awake," he whispered in my ear, kissing me where he'd just tickled me. "Why were you pretending? Are you afraid of me?"

"No," I said. "I'm not afraid."

He put two fingers on my throat, feeling my pulse. "Your heart is racing. Why would it be doing that if you're not scared? Are you angry? Horny?"

That pissed me off and I rolled over and sat up, folding my arms. "Don't you have any shame?"

He shifted so he was on his back, fingers laced behind his head, grinning like the cat who'd caught the canary. "Nope." And he must've meant it, cause he had no problem with me seeing the tent his erection had creating under the sheets.

"Let me out I said." The bed was as long as the room, so I couldn't get off via the foot or the head, but only over the side, which Billy was blocking.

"Why don't you just climb over."

"Are you serious?"

"Completely."

In the end, my desperation to get out of that fucking room outweighed my desire to preserve a sense of normalacy. "You know something," I said, getting up on my knees to climb over him. "You are a sadist, a sick, perverted sadist."

"Am I?" he asked with a laugh.

I put my hands on either side of his torso and climbed over him, careful not to touch any part of his body, and finally made it to the other side. The floor was so cold it hurt my bare feet. "Yeah, really. It makes me sick."

As I walked out of the room, I heard the blankets shift and that very disctinctive, skin slapping sound, as well as Billy laughing at me behind my back.

Sal wasn't there when I woke up, so I had no one to thank. It was already eight, so I was going to be late for my first class, but my rage at having to put Billy back in my car, driving him home. We sat in silence, no tapes, no radio.

"Hey, can you do me a favor?" he asked. "Would you mind swinging by Hannah's place so I can pick up my car?"

"Um, I thought you got a ride from a lady friend?"

"Oh, I made all of that up, and the stuff about my dad needing me out of the house," he said without a trace of guilt or any other indication that he possesed a conscience. "I just wanted to fuck with you. And you took the bait a lot easier than I had anticipated." He gave me a wink, and kicked he feet up on my dash.

I didn't speak because I knew he wanted to get a reaction out of me. I simply took a turn in the direction of Hannah's neighborhood, and stopped in the middle of her street, idling. "Okay, no get out."

"My car's a little farther down the road."

"Get out, you miserable piece of shit," I shouted. "And hope I don't run you over."

Shrugging, he put on his aviators and hopped out of the car, closing the door calmly as he went. That pissed me off. If he'd cussed me out, slammed the door, or done anything like that, then I would've won. But he hadn't, he just left, hands in the pockets of his leather jacket, his walk so ambling and effortless, which meant I'd lost.