Jenny and Donald

The phone rang soon after I arrived home, startling me so bad I dropped a cup of green tea I'd made, the ceramic mug shattering on the floor.

"Hello," I answered annoyedly, as though it were the caller's fault I was such a klutz.

"Hey, Blondie, is that you?"

I froze- only one person called me that, but this didn't sound like him. "Who is this?"

"Are you joking? It's me, Sal."

"Oh, sorry, I just- you never call me Blondie."

He hesitated, and I resisted the urge to punch myself in the face as punishment for my stupid remark. "Sorry about that, didn't mean to startle you. I'm at work, my shift ends at 10:30, and I'm going out for breakfast for dinner with Jenny and Donald, and I wondered if you wanted to come out with us."

"Who are Jenny and Donald again?"

"They're my friends," Sal said. "Didn't you say you wanted me to introduce you to some of my friends?"

I bit my bottom lip, eyes flooding unexpectedly with tears. "You are the best boyfriend in the whole world!"

"See you then, beautiful."

I hung up, jumping up and down until I got light-headed and collapsed onto the floor. Staring up at the ceiling, I felt an odd ringing in my ear, but didn't pay it any mind. People my age- cool, trendy friends of Sal, and we'd all be getting waffles at midnight. Stretching out like a starfish, I started making snow angels, arms and legs sliding across the wood floors, collecting every piece of dust and lint.

"Are you on crack?" 

I sat straight up, blood rushing from my head again. Steve stood at the foot of the stairs, arms folded tightly. "No," I said hastily. "Of course not, I just- I didn't know you were home."

"My car's in the driveway."

"Oh, right, of course, I- I forgot." I pressed the heel of my hand to forehead, trying to ease my burgeoning migraine. "Why aren't you at basketball practice?"

"I quit."

"Really?"

"Well, not officially, but I'm just going to stop showing up to games and practices and see if they notice."

"Don't do that."

"Why shouldn't I?" he demanded, stalking past me to the kitchen. "Everyone only cares about Billy now, and I was never going to get into college, with or without athletics. I'm better off staying at home and working for dad."

I sighed, standing up and brushing the dust off my clothes. "I'm going out with Sal tonight, so I've got to get changed, but we should talk later."

Steve snorted. "Don't bother, I don't want any of your advice."

I didn't have the strength to fight with him, instead climbing the stairs slowly but steadily, popping two Vicodin before climbing in the shower. I thoroughly shampooed my hair twice before conditioning, making sure to get out all the residue. 

After stepping out, I dried my body, using the towel to wrap up my hair. I perched myself on the edge of the sink, dragging a razor across my dry legs to get off any remaining hair, as well as my armpits even though I wouldn't dare bare them in January. Mostly, I wanted to be ready for anything with Sal as soon as we got home. Since he'd gone out of his way to introduce me to his friends, I wouldn't push him to make more concessions in the bedroom. But, with my skin all bare and a bit of Baby Soft cologne on my pulse points, I wanted nothing more than to be tied up and mde to obey.