Thirty Two

Alexa's POV:

You know that feeling you get when your mind is awake, but you body still feels asleep? Like it's paralyzed or glued down, and there's nothing you can do about it. Like your mind is racing through every terrifying scenario imaginable, but you're stuck. You can't run, hide, sit up, or even move at all.

That's how I'm feeling at this exact moment, except there's no horrifying dream. In fact, there's no dream at all. It's just black. It felt like I was trapped in a long black abyss. Everywhere I looked, there was nothing. My body was numb. It felt like I was a prisoner to my own thoughts. Where was I? What was I doing there? What happened?

My eyes slowly opened to a blurry squint. Within that very second, my head began pounding, and I felt an unbearable, searing pain all through my skull. I tried to sit up, still unaware of where I was, but that just made it worse.

I was alarmed when suddenly a crowd of doctors shuffled into the room, and I instantly realized that I was in a hospital. They all surrounded me, and there was so much going on at once.

They all quieted down as one of the doctors began to speak.

Doctor: "Alexa, are you alright?"

Alexa: "my head really hurts" I said truthfully while holding my forehead and squinting my eyes.

He sent one nurse to go get painkillers, and asked another one to dim the lights a little bit, which helped me see clearly with less head pain.

Alexa: "what happened?" I asked flinching. Every noise felt like a knife cutting into my head, and I think the doctor knew this because he always answered me with a whisper, which I appreciated.

Doctor: "you don't remember the accident?"

Alexa: "accident? As in car accident?" I asked

Doctor: "yes, and a pretty bad one" he said in a low, but concerned voice. "You don't remember the collision?"

I thought for a moment. I remember leaving the restaurant crying, then everything going black, but I don't remember what happened in between those two things.

Alexa "not really" I answered

Doctor: "okay, then why don't you tell me the last things you can remember?"

Alexa: "okay" I said slowly "so my boyfriend and I were eating breakfast...I remember leaving the restaurant...getting into my car...then everything went black.... I don't remember what happened after..." I said, scratching the back of my neck

Doctor: "okay" he said, slowly nodding his head. "Is that all?"

Alexa: "y-yeah" I said, deciding not to mention the part where my boyfriend was a dick and planning to intoxicate me and leave me with an abusive sociopath.

Doctor: "okay" he said "that's good. Thank you Alexa, and by the looks of everything, you should be making a pretty quick recovery. I'm going to head out, as there are some people who wish to see you. Should we let these visitors in, or do you prefer to be alone?"

Alexa: "please let them in" I said with a small smile, assuming that they meant my mother.

He nodded before leaving the room.

About a minute later, the door opened and my mom walked in.

Just from looking at her I can tell that she was crying and I instantly felt a pang of guilt in my chest. I hated seeing her so upset.

Mom: "oh, my poor baby!" She said running towards me. She gently cupped my face with her hands and looked me in the eyes. "Are you okay Lexi? How are you feeling?" She said while gently stroking my cheek with her thumb.

Alexa: "honestly, I've been better" I said, attempting to sit up, but still failing miserably.

Mom: "baby, I'm so sorry" she said, taking a seat, beginning to tear up again.

Alexa: "mom, don't forget, I've also been through way worse, so I'm going to be fine. Please don't cry" I pleaded

She wiped her teary eyes with the back of her hand before looking back at me with a small smile. She took my hands in hers.

Mom: "I love you so much" she whispered

Alexa: "I love you more" I whispered back

She chucked before leaning over and kissing my forehead. She told me to get some rest before eventually leaving the room

I looked up at the ceiling. I wondered what Shawn was doing right now. I doubt he even knows I'm here. I hate that I'm still thinking about him after what he was planning on doing to me. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the door open.

I looked at the clock next to me. It was time for them to give me another dose of painkillers. I looked over to the direction of the door, except there wasn't a nurse standing there with my medicine.

It was Shawn.

***
Author's Note:
Thanks for reading chapter 32!!
I started high school a few days ago and I already have so much homework!
If anyone wants fanfic recommendations, or you just wanna talk to someone, my wattpad messages and Instagram dms are always open❤️❤️
With that said, If you want to follow me on my socials, my Instagram is @1d.mendes_updates
and my Twitter is @OneDirecShawn98
Love you guys! -ShawnsDirectionxx
❣️❣️❣️