Chapter 1: Humans

Emily's POV

Ever since I was a little girl, my moms told me stories about the enemies in our town, in our world.

Those enemies, often referred to as humans, lived among us. The danger was that they could attack us at any given time, whenever and wherever they wanted.

They appeared normal on the outside but were dangerous, often armed with guns or knives or anything that could hurt or kill us. They were murderers, out for our blood.

They were dangerous, selfish, incompetent to love, mean and evil.

One of my moms is an important person for our kind. She made it her mission to make this town safe, for me. She'd do anything to keep me safe, to protect me and to prepare me for my future battle against the humans.

Yet no one was ready for what was about to happen...

_____________________________

"Emily!"

I hurried downstairs and ran to the dining room. "Yes?"

Mom and zaezzes were seated at the dining table. Zaezzes looked at me, tapping her watch. "You're late."

I sat down. "Why the hurry? Breakfast isn't even served yet."

Zaezzes sat up. "You know we have to leave right after breakfast."

"How did you sleep, honey?" Mom asked, smiling at me.

I returned that smile. "I slept well," Then breakfast was served by our cook, Remy. He's gotten older, yet he insisted he still cooks and serves us. He loved doing that for us. "But I'm not really looking forward to school."

"It's needed for your future," Zaezzes said as she took a piece of omelet and ate it. "Besides, it gives you a lot of insight into their world."

Mom nodded though she didn't seem to agree a lot.

"What about mom?" I asked, which made them both look at me. "She didn't graduate high school, then why should I?"

"Your mother had no choice, her kind was out to get her," Zaezzes said as she held mom's hand. "You have no excuse."

I sighed. A few minutes later, I finished breakfast. "I'm ready to go." I said as I got up and walked to the main entrance. There, I took my shoes and jacket for the day and put them on.

"Ready for school, dear?"

I turned around and smiled. "I am, grandma."

Grandma smiled. "You'll do well," She caressed my face gently. "I believe in you."

I smiled more. "Thanks, grandma," I then hugged her. "I can't wait to get back home and eat your nice apple pie."

Grandma smiled and nodded. "I'll make sure it's fresh out of the oven by the time you'll get home."

"Thank you."

She nodded before zaezzes showed up too. "Ready to go?"

I sighed but nodded.

"Good," She kissed grandma before walking past me to the car. My grandpa was our driver, he usually drives zaezzes around but sometimes me too. Zaezzes said that he'd drive me to and back from school. "We'll first drop off Emily, then we go to the office."

"Ok." Grandpa then started the car and drove us to the school.

I looked outside the window, trying to imagine what school will be like. And I wondered why they wanted me at school so badly, for the last two years. I'm 17, and now they want me at a public school. That way you get to know humans, they'd say. Or, you could come across a possible potential...

I looked at zaezzes and saw she was reading into some papers, probably for work. "What's that?"

Zaezzes looked at me. "These?" She motioned to the papers she was holding.

I nodded.

"These are some orders," She put them away in a file, keeping them together that way. "For work."

I nodded but knew that there was more to that. Zaezzes once told me that, when I'm old enough, I'll take over from her. I don't know what age I was supposed to be for that, or what I was even going to take over. All I knew was that mom didn't know much about it.

Zaezzes smiled at me. "Are you ready for today?"

It's funny how parents think that asking the same question again, will make you drop the previous subject. As if I don't notice her wanting to avert from the subject. "I don't know," But, of course, I'll join her train of thought. "I'd rather graduate at our private school."

"I know," She looked at her hands, rubbing them together as if she was nervous about something. "When I went to public school, I was dreading the first day. I'd rather stay at home, in my safe zone."

"So why didn't you?"

She looked at me then. "Because our one goal in life is to find our one true love, our - "

"Our right potential, I know," I sighed and looked away, I was so done hearing this. "As if I'll find her at school..."

"Never say never, hianag."

I sighed once again.

"I met your mother when she came applying for a job at my company, I never imagined my right potential to be 10 years younger than me and to be one of my staff."

I looked at her. "Is this supposed to encourage me?"

Zaezzes frowned. "Why are you fighting me on this, hianag?"

"Because the whole reason for us to find the right potential is so..." I looked around, looking for the right way to say this. "Stupid."

"Stupid?" She raised her eyebrows, she seemed taken back by what I was saying even though I've said this plenty of times already. Mom and zaezzes know how I feel about 'my destiny', I don't believe in it. "You dare call our culture, our bloodline, stupid?"

I sighed and looked away, knowing that later today zaezzes will start the same topic all over again.

_____________________________

Hey everyone

Welcome to this new story, the third one in this series. We'll see how this'll go...
I'll update this book every Wednesday. I hope you'll enjoy :)

- LxT4ever