Chapter 25: We need to talk

Lily's POV

As Emily left with Peter, we stayed seated at the dining table. Esmee, Catherine, Marianne, and I.

"She found Avan," I shook my head. "He's still around."

"They never moved," Catherine said, caressing my hand. I could see she was trying to comfort me but I didn't know what I needed comfort with: knowing my family's still here and never contacted me or knowing I simply could've reached out to them if I had known they were here still. "Isn't that good?"

"That means that my dad, my uncle, and Avan all still work for the CAT here," I looked at Catherine, I felt my eyes tearing up. "They all work for the organization against us, haewa."

Catherine's face softened as she pulled me into her. "I'm sorry, haewa," She caressed my back as we were hugging. "I'm so sorry."

"Maybe your mother would still support you," Marianne said, also caressing my back. "She was showing some support when she met Emily, wasn't she?"

"Yeah," I wiped my tears away as I pulled back from Catherine to look at everyone again. "But she never contacted me afterwards. And I always thought she would want to see Emily, her only grandchild, grow up."

"The hate some humans feel, or are taught to feel, can be more overpowering than the love they should be feeling," Esmee said, gaining a nod from Catherine. "Maybe your mother wanted to support you but the CAT and your father got to her."

Catherine nodded more, seemingly agreeing with Esmee. She then looked at me. "We can go visit them, whenever you want."

"Thanks, haewa," I looked down then. "But I don't think that'd be a good idea. What if they kill me?"

"I wouldn't let them get the chance," Catherine pulled my face up so I'd look at her. "You know I'll protect you."

I smiled a bit. "Thank you."

Catherine smiled too. "Think about it, ok?"

I nodded.

"Good," Catherine got up, alongside Esmee. "We'll be going to work. Marianne," She looked at Marianne. "You'll watch Lily for me?"

"Of course."

"And if you've made your decision, call me." She said to me.

I nodded.

When Esmee and Catherine had left, Marianne looked at me again. "I'm really sorry you have to go through this," She reached for my hands, holding them in hers. "You didn't deserve this."

I smiled a bit, I always appreciated Marianne and her comforting words. "It's sad they've been here all these years and never reached out to me," I looked down then. "Though, I guess I could've reached out to them too."

"You couldn't," Marianne replied immediately. "They could've killed you. It's too dangerous."

"What if they thought the same thing?" I looked at her. "What if we were both waiting on the other to make a move?" I shook my head. "What a waste of time..."

She showed me a reassuring smile. "Maybe it's not too late? You've still got some time left."

I slowly nodded. "Maybe..."

"I would like to see my family again," She smiled a bit. "I know Lilian was dreaming about that," She sighed then. "But we didn't make a move, and now it's been nearly 4 decades..."

I gulped, realizing I didn't want to lose that much time to perhaps reconnect with my family. Though, I wouldn't know how or where or when. Should I bring Catherine? Should I bring Emily? Should I bring guards? I didn't want to scare them off but I also didn't want to be trapped...

"I'll think about it." I said to Marianne to which she nodded.

__________________________

Emily's POV

"Hey Emily," Julian hurried after me. "Emily, wait up!" He ran until he caught up to me. "Hey," He took me by the arm. "Didn't you hear me?"

I gulped as I looked at him. He, the little guy I helped, my friend, a human... My cousin.

"Emily?"

I looked in his eyes. "Yes?"

"What's wrong? You've been acting strange since you left my house," He sighed as he released my arm. "You think my family's weird..." He looked down then.

"No," Somehow I felt bad he even thought that, since his family is also my family... Wow, this is really weird. "I'm sorry, I've just got a lot on my mind."

He looked up at me. "Is everything ok?" He sounded really worried, like an amazing friend would be.

I smiled at that. "Yes," I then wrapped my arms around him. "Thank you." I hugged him then.

He didn't seem to question this, as I didn't think he would, and hugged me back instantly. "I'm here for you, you know that, right?"

I pulled back a bit, smiling. "I do," I patted his shoulder before pulling back entirely. "You've got amazing parents, you know?"

He looked at me then, smiling. "Really?" He smiled more. "You didn't think they're weird?"

"Of course not," We continued walking towards our lockers. "I enjoyed the evening at your house: the food was delicious and the company outstanding."

He smiled even more, if that was even possible. "Thank you so much," He looked down then, a small blush appeared on his cheeks. "You don't know what that means to me."

"You're welcome." I faced my locker and opened it but, when I did, something fell out of it.

"What's this?" Julian asked as he was holding a piece of paper that had just fallen out of my locker. He looked at me, smirking. "A secret note?"

"I don't know, give it back so I can read it," I reached for it but he pulled back every time I came close. "Julian, come on."

He put his hand in front of him, blocking me from getting near him or the note. "Emily, we need to talk. It's important. - J." He looked at me. "J? Who's that?"

I glared at him as I snatched the note away from him. I read it again, even though he had read it out loud, and then put it away in the pocket of my pants. "I'll see you during lunch." And with that, I left him.