Chapter 5: Destiny

Emily's POV

I sighed as I knocked onto zaezzes' office door, at home.

"Come in." I heard from inside.

I took a deep breath before entering. "Hey zaezzes," I closed the door behind me and sat down at her desk. "Can I talk to you?"

Zaezzes glanced at me before putting away her work. "What is it?" She then leaned back, folding her arms.

I gulped. "I uhm..." I looked down, at my fingers. I was playing with them, as they would help me get through this conversation easier. "I don't know how to get to mom," I then looked up at zaezzes and already saw her getting frustrated. "I'm afraid of losing her."

"You won't lose her," Zaezzes said. She leaned in closer, now taking my hand in hers. "She's your number one potential, there is a connection between the two of you. When you make your move, she'll follow your lead."

Somehow, that didn't encourage me the way I had hoped it would. I looked back down, at our hands.

"Hianag," She sighed. "What's the problem?"

I shrugged. "I just..." I looked up at her. "I don't feel it."

"What?"

"It," I looked down again. "I don't feel the pull towards mom the way you're describing it."

Zaezzes released my hand and got up. "That's impossible," She walked away a bit, pacing around her small office. "Every Superior is drawn to their human parent as it is their number one potential."

I kept looking down.

"Just try it," She said to which I looked up at her. "You have no choice, hianag, this is your destiny."

I looked zaezzes right in the eyes, hoping to see something in there, but I quickly looked down again. "Ok."

"Good," She sat back down, taking her papers again. "I've told your mother to wait for you in your room," She then looked at me. "Go get her, tiger."

I showed a weak smile before getting up. I left the office and then sighed. I felt so weird, so uncomfortable.

"Hello Emi," Grandma smiled at me with her same heartwarming smile. Though, it disappeared relatively fast when she saw my facial expression. "What's wrong?"

I shrugged before walking past her. 

"Emi?" Grandma followed me up the stairs and, when she caught up to me, stopped me. She made me look at her. "What's wrong?"

I shrugged again, wanting to walk away yet again but was stopped.

"Emi?" Grandma gave me a look. "What's wrong?"

I shrugged.

"You know I won't let you go until I know what's bothering my precious Emi," She then showed me a small smile. "Come on, what's wrong?"

I let out a deep breath before looking at her. "I don't want to make a move on mom, I don't want this destiny, I don't want people to tell me what to do," I then looked down. "I just want to be me."

Grandma caressed my face gently. "Oh Emi," She then showed me a small smile. "I can't imagine how hard this must be for you," She let out a sigh. "But you have no choice."

When she said that, I wanted to cry. No one was helping me with this, no one understood my side. I nodded before walking away from her.

"Emi!"

And this time, I didn't let her catch up to me. I entered my room and locked the door. I sighed relieved until I turned around, to face my room, and noticed mom sitting on my bed.

"Is everything alright?"

And that was the moment I couldn't hold back anymore. I cried.

"Emily?" Mom immediately got up and pulled me in her arms. "Hey," She kissed my head a few times while trying to calm me down. "It's alright, I've got you."

I don't know how long we stayed that way: me crying in mom's arms while mom shushed me and kissed my head. I felt safe here, in her arms. I felt good here, in her presence. But I hated being here, with her.

I pulled away a bit so I'd have a good look at her face. Then I stopped, I said nothing but my mind was racing with thoughts. I was debating whether or not to make a move on my mother, right here and now.

Mom was so nice, she caressed my cheek and smiled at me. She genuinely wanted me to be alright, to feel ok. She cared so much about me, and that's why I needed to do this.

I gulped. "Mom," I paused. "I need to talk to you."

Mom's smile disappeared a bit but she nodded.

___________________________

Third person's POV

Lily left Emily's room and made her way down the stairs, to Catherine's office. On her way there, she passed Marianne who, upon seeing Lily, followed her.

Lily didn't knock on the office door like she normally would, instead, she entered. Inside were Catherine and Esmee, discussing the next patrols for hunts on humans. But, when Lily entered, they couldn't help but look up at her.

"Lily?" Catherine slowly got up. "What's wrong?"

Lily stood there, fuming with anger. Her mind was racing with thoughts, things to say. But she couldn't help to let her heart speak out instead of her mind. "What the hell, Catherine?!"

Catherine immediately noticed Lily was really angry or pissed, or both. "What?"

Lily looked down in an attempt to calm down but it didn't help. "I waited in Emily's room for her as you told me she needed me for something," She said to which Catherine slowly nodded. "But when she entered her room, she cried."

Catherine sighed.

"She feels so bad about herself because of her 'destiny'," Lily said, using air quotes. "How is having sex with her own damn mother her destiny, Catherine?!"

"Lily, it's a - " 

"Save it!" Lily said, shutting down Esmee.  She looked back at Catherine. "How dare you encourage our daughter to try to get me pregnant? What sick person does that?!"

Catherine took a deep breath before saying: "I don't expect you to understand," She looked at Lily. "But as a Superior, it's our destiny to find the one true potential that'll give us our successor."

"I know that, Catherine!"

"So," Catherine continued. "Our number one potential is always the human parent as they reacted positively to the previous Superior."

Lily looked down, shaking her head. "I can't believe this," She looked at Catherine. "I thought I knew every weird and creepy thing about your kind, about your family and about your bloodline," She shook her head again. "But this is just sick!"

"It's her destiny, she has no choice," Catherine went on. "Neither do you."

"Excuse me?!"

Catherine stepped forward, invading Lily's personal space. "You swore your life to me and to our kind," She paused, giving Lily time to remember that oath. "You have signed the document, you have no choice."

Lily gulped, suddenly feeling trapped by her wife.

"Go upstairs," Catherine backed off again, taking a seat on her chair again. "And fulfill your and Emily's destiny." She then looked down, at the documents again, clearly showing that this conversation was over.

Lily gulped once again, she was in utter disbelieve. She walked out of the office, passed Marianne, and went back upstairs.