Chapter 8: My choice

Emily's POV

I was worried about the situation at home. I knew mom was suffering a lot because of it, she was clearly having a hard time lying to everyone about it. I think she expected more from zaezzes too. Even I have to admit that I thought she'd be more possessive over mom...

But every evening, mom would sleep with me in my room. And every evening, I noticed just how upset she'd get. And I'd ask her if she missed zaezzes. She always said 'yes'.

There was one good thing about this whole situation: no one was bothering me with school anymore. No one asked how I was doing in school, or about homework, or my grades. Nothing. And I actually quite liked the freedom.

Though, after every school day, I couldn't help but stop and stare at Miss Keller's office door. Over these past few days, we've talked regularly. Mostly about the situation at my house, with mom and zaezzes. Though I didn't go into details. I knew she'd freak out. And besides, I didn't know her opinion on my kind.

I knocked on the door and entered.

Miss Keller looked up and smiled. "Hey Emily," She turned off her computer before looking at me again. "Have a seat."

"Thanks." I sat down in front of her.

"So," She leaned closer, bringing her hands together. "How's the situation at home evolving?"

I sighed as I leaned back.

"That bad?" She leaned back too.

"Not really," I looked away a bit, thinking back about mom. I hated seeing her like that, it hurt me to see her like that. "It's just that my parents are still not really talking."

"Maybe you or anyone else at home can be a moderator between your parents," She gave me a small smile, trying to encourage me. "Sometimes we need a little help to get back up on our feet."

I slowly nodded. It was nice, her trying to help me, but I knew that nothing she was saying would actually help. The only thing that would help us has yet to be discovered.

"How are you doing?"

I looked at her. "I'm ok," I sighed. "I just feel bad for them. I hate seeing my mom so upset. I want to help her so badly but my other mom is so strong-minded."

She nodded as she looked away a bit, seemingly thinking about something.

This piqued my interest. "You have a parent like that too?"

She looked at me again. "Yeah," She let out a small breath before shaking her head. "It's hard to deal with sometimes."

"It is," I looked around the office. I've noticed just how empty it was. There was no personality in this office, nothing that showed her personality. Just emptiness. Except for her desk. There was a small picture frame on her desk. "Is that your family?"

She looked at the frame and only now noticed that it wasn't solely pointing at her anymore. "Yes," She then adjusted the position so it'd only point at her again, it's like she didn't want anyone else to see it. "It is."

"They seem like nice people."

"They are," She smiled a bit as she looked at the picture before looking at me. "Even though our parents don't always understand us or each other, we have to remind ourselves that talking is still the best thing in any relationship," She then leaned in closer to me. "Talk to your parents about how you feel."

"What if they don't listen?" As this was a real possibility...

"You make them listen to you."

____________________________

You make them listen to you. The sentence Miss Keller had said had been haunting my thoughts all evening. While I was getting home, debating what to tell my family. While I was having dinner, debating when to tell my family. And now, while I was laying in bed next to my mom. 

I looked at my left, to my mom. Her back was facing me as she was 'sleeping'. Every evening, mom would kiss me goodnight before turning around. She'd wait a couple of minutes before letting her emotions run freely.

And every evening, I'd lay besides my mom, listening to her sniffles. Her silent cries for help. Her cries for attention from the one she loved: zaezzes. And I'd be powerless to do anything.

"I think we should be honest with zaezzes," I said. And immediately mom's sniffles stopped, probably because she didn't expect me to be awake still. "This is not our destiny, mom."

Mom didn't move, she simply had quieted down.

"Tomorrow I'll tell her how we really feel," I looked at the ceiling again. "I'll reproduce with number 2 instead, I'll just skip you."

Mom then turned around, looking at me. It's now that I noticed just how much she had been crying. She just looked at me, said nothing for a while, before launching at me, and hugging me tightly. She cried in my arms.

____________________________

"There is my perfect hianag!" Zaezzes exclaimed as I sat down at the table. "Where's your mom?" She looked at the stairs, then a smirk appeared on her face. "Did you two have a long night?"

"Catherine." Aunt Esmee nudged zaezzes before looking at me again.

I looked down.

"Hianag," Zaezzes sounded worried. "What's wrong?"

I sighed before looking her in the eyes. I figured that, if I was going to disappoint her, I'd at least look her in the eyes. "Zaezzes," I sighed once more. "I'm sorry, mom and I lied to you."

Immediately, zaezzes' face dropped.

"We didn't reproduce, ever. We're not willing to, we'll never do it, we're just not interested in it," I gulped. "I know that it is our destiny but it doesn't feel right. Mom just wants you, she misses you, she cries every evening because she just wants to be with you."

Aunt Esmee's facial expression softened. She clearly felt bad for mom. But zaezzes didn't seem to show any emotions.

"So I've made my decision, I'm not reproducing with mom but I'll start with number 2." I finished my honest statement.

Aunt Esmee looked at zaezzes, who didn't look pleased. "No way," She stood up, immediately showing off her dominance in this household. "You will do as our destiny says. You can't just skip number 1. No way."

I gulped as I stood up too. I wasn't going to hold back anymore. "I'm sorry, zaezzes, but this is my choice." I then walked away.