Chapter 11: The BC

Lily's POV

I had been waiting in the living room while Emily, Esmee, and Catherine went to the basement. I could've joined them, as I was allowed to know everything, but I decided against it.

"How are you doing?" Marianne asked as she sat down with me, at the dining table. "You don't look too well..."

I sighed as I shrugged.

Marianne leaned forward, holding my hands in hers. "What's wrong, dear?"

I looked at her, and immediately I felt that comfort only a parent could give. Over these past 17 years, Marianne had been like a mother to me. It's one of the reasons why Emily calls Marianne 'grandma'.

"Is everything alright?" She repeated, she was clearly worried.

I shrugged once more.

"What happened?"

"I lied to Catherine, and everyone here," I looked down then, I felt ashamed for what I had done. "Emily and I didn't reproduce. We just couldn't bring ourselves to do that."

Marianne sighed. "I understand."

I looked up at her, a bit surprised to hear her say that as everyone was so eager on Emily and me to reproduce. "R-really?"

"Of course," She showed me a small smile. "I'm a mother too," She squeezed my hands a bit. "I wouldn't be able to reproduce with Esmee..." She had a look of disgust and horror on her face for a bit, before looking at me again. "I completely understand."

I smiled then. Finally! Then my smile dropped as I remembered Catherine's request. "Catherine understands it too, a bit," I sighed then. "But she insists that Emily and I try it once."

"It is Emily's destiny..."

I slowly nodded.

"Perhaps you can have Catherine present?"

I looked at Marianne, disgusted at the thought, and noticed she was disgusted too.

Marianne shook her head immediately, probably trying to get rid of that thought. "I know it's hard, dear," She showed me an empathetic smile. "Keep in mind that it's her destiny, she needs to do this."

"Why?"

Marianne then frowned. "Because it's her destiny."

"But why is it her destiny?"

Marianne kept frowning. "I don't know," She looked away a bit. "It's what's been told to every Superior for centuries."

I raised my eyebrows then. "Who told them this?"

Marianne looked at me again. "The BC, they know everything."

___________________________

That night, I could only think about one thing: the BC. They know everything. That sentence kept going through my mind. If they did know everything, they could possibly explain this disgusting tradition to me.

I didn't tell Emily anything, about my worries or thoughts, I simply let her get some rest. And thankfully, she fell asleep without actually worrying too much about me.

The next day, I woke up before her. I got up, got dressed, and went downstairs. I noticed everyone was still sound asleep, and I used this to my advantage.

I took an apple for breakfast and then headed out. I used Catherine's personal car and drove it to the BC headquarters.

When I arrived, I stopped and smiled a bit. Seeing this building brought back the memory of my wedding with Catherine...

I headed to the front door and could simply enter as I had the key, as a queen I had access to anything of their kind.

I walked into the BC meeting room, as they were usually in there. Today, however, no one was there. I walked around the building some more until I encounter a member of the BC.

"My Queen," He bowed for me. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to speak to all of you," I said and noticed him wondering about that request. "Have everyone meet me in the meeting room in 5 minutes."

"Of course, My Queen." He bowed and then headed off.

___________________________

It had taken them no more than 3 minutes to gather in the meeting room. I had learned that the BC were very precise and very punctual people, that was proven again today.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I start, greeting them all. "Thank you all for meeting me here, unannounced. I'd like to discuss a certain topic with all of you."

"Of course, Your Highness." The leader of the BC said, which I still didn't know the name of. Catherine had told me that even she didn't know their names. They prefer to be nameless, just call them the BC, she'd say. I always thought that was a bit weird.

I smiled a bit as I looked down, at my hands, at my wedding ring. The ring that reminded me every day of the promise I had made to Catherine, the love of my life. "I have been told about Emily's destiny," I looked up at them, noticing them nod a bit. "Emily and I wish to not fulfill that destiny."

"Why not?" Also something I had learned: the BC always remained calm. They show their concerns and urgency through their speech but never through their facial expressions or behavior.

"It doesn't feel right to us," I looked at them. "I want to know why that is her destiny, why that particular thing has been called a tradition."

"It's always been that way, Your Highness."

"I know that," I sighed, trying to find a way to express myself well. "Why is that a tradition? Why is this deemed ok?"

The BC looked down a bit, a sign this was more than just mating to save their kind. "It is to save us."

"She has to mate with the right number in order to save us, but why should that be me if we don't feel like it? Can't she simply move on to number 2?"

"No," The BC seemed a bit scared, which was really out of character. "It has to be you first."

"Why?"

"Because you are her number one potential."

I frowned and looked down. I felt like this conversation was going on in circles. I felt like they weren't telling me everything. "Why is it that important that she first mates with me, her number one potential?" I then sat up, feeling confident. "Can't she go off to other people first and then, as a last resort, come to me?"

"No, absolutely not."

"Why not?" I groaned. "I don't understand why you're all making such a big deal out of this. The most important thing is that she's happy and that she reproduces with someone she loves. That is what will save you."

"That will save our kind indeed," The BC then looked very serious. "But it won't save yours."