Chapter 38: My grandparents

Emily's POV

As the days went by, and my birthday came closer, I knew I had to go to mom to arrange when we'd connect. And I dreaded that moment, I didn't want that moment to come. I tried prolonging the inevitable.

What bothered me the most was that no one seemed to consider my own family. I mean, I knew I'd hurt Jen by doing that yet no one seemed to care about that. She'll understand, they'd say.

I knew she would understand, eventually, but I didn't want her to go through it. And since no one at home seemed to understand, I went to the only people I thought that'd understand my side.

I rang the doorbell and waited. I was a bit nervous, especially since I knew my relationship with these people.

The door opened and revealed Betty, my grandmother. She seemed surprised to see me but also happy. "Emily, what a nice surprise."

I smiled a bit, I was so happy grandma gave me the right address. "Can I come in?"

She smiled and moved aside for me to enter. When I had gotten in, she closed the door and walked to the living room. "John," She said as I had entered too. "Look who's here."

John, my grandfather, looked up. When he spotted me, he seemed surprised too. "Emily, hey," He turned off the tv and gave me all his attention. "What brings you here?"

Betty went to sit down next to John and motioned to the couch next to me.

I smiled politely and went to sit down too. "I actually came by to check up on you two," I said which made them frown a bit, they probably didn't expect that. "I was afraid the CAT might have gotten to you two."

They then smiled. 

"The CAT doesn't get to us that easily, Emily," John said. "Besides, we're respected within that organization."

I nodded before looking down a bit. "I've kept wondering why you saved me," I looked at John. "You didn't know me, yet you risked everything to save me."

"It was the right thing to do." Betty replied.

"I appreciate what you two did for me," I sighed. "But I keep wondering why you risked everything for me but not for your own daughter."

Betty and John sighed then, suddenly realizing I knew who they were.

"Mom was very surprised to hear that it was you two, of all people, that helped me."

"How is she doing?" Betty asked, suddenly very eager to hear about mom.

"She's doing well," I looked at John. "She was very thankful for your sacrifice."

John smiled a bit before looking down, it was clear he was having a hard time with this. 

"I meant what I said," I said, gaining his attention. "Your daughter is as amazing as you two, don't let it go to waste."

He sighed.

I sighed too before I remembered the real reason why I was here. "I actually came here because I need help," I gulped. "No one in my family understands me, I was wondering if you two would."

"What's wrong?"

"My bloodline possesses 3 forms," I said to which they both nodded. "The final one, the Bloodborn form is deadly to anyone," I sighed. "My zaezzes's father murdered and ate his wife while being in that form."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Betty said.

I let out a breath. "I have been tasked to cease Bloodborn to exist, and I do want that, but..." I gulped.

"But what?" John asked.

I looked down, I felt ashamed to say the next part out loud. "I would have to connect with mom as she is my number one potential," I gulped before looking up at them and saw they were in complete disgust. I had expected nothing else. "I don't want to connect with mom, I don't want to betray my girlfriend, I don't want it because it doesn't feel right," I sighed before looking down. "But I don't want anyone to get hurt because I wasn't able to get rid of Bloodborn, I don't want to fail anyone, I don't want to murder anyone."

Betty placed her hand on mine. "That's a very hard situation," She said to which I nodded. "What do your moms say?"

I sighed. "Zaezzes wants me to just connect with mom so Bloodborn ceases to exist," I gulped. "Mom just wants to help me keep my family safe."

"They both want you to connect with your mom?" John asked, he seemed surprised.

I slowly nodded. "I know that it is the best thing to do: I can save everyone, I'll get rid of Bloodborn, and I'll do what's best for my people," I sighed once more. "But it doesn't feel right to me."

Betty nodded. "There must be another way to get rid of Bloodborn."

"I have asked the BC about it but there really isn't," I gulped. "If I want to get rid of it, I'll have to connect with my mom."

"Why specifically with your mother?" John asked.

"Because she is my number one potential, only they hold the possibility to stop Bloodborn."

John slowly nodded. "But if you don't believe in it, I don't think it'll work. In fact, I think you'll hurt yourself and your mother if you two don't want it."

I nodded. "I know," I sighed before covering my face. "What a mess!"

"Maybe you should talk to your girlfriend about it?" Betty suggested. "See what she thinks about it all."

I looked at her but didn't really respond.

"The way I see it," John started. "If you don't want to do it, you simply don't."

"But what if I turn and hurt someone I love?"

"And what if you don't?"

I gulped.

"They are basing their decision and advise on the previous Superiors," He said to which I nodded. "The current one hasn't been stable, the previous one apparently hasn't been stable either, how about the one before?"

I frowned. "I don't know, why?"

"What if mating with their own parents made them unstable?" He said, making me think. "What if they did more harm than good?"

Betty slowly nodded, seemingly getting on board with John's train of thoughts. 

"I'm just saying, if you do not feel good about doing that, then don't. No one should force you to get intimate with someone," He then placed his hand on mine. "And, as you said, our daughter is amazing, she'll understand." He showed me a small smile.

And I couldn't help but smile too, I finally felt understood.