Chapter 18: Roommates

Emily's POV

I yawned as I stretched in Jennifer's bed. I slowly opened my eyes to the tiny flashes of sunlight. It was morning, or perhaps lunchtime.

I looked at my right and saw Jennifer still sleeping. I almost forgot I didn't need the amount of sleep a human needs. I was good to go with half the amount, sometimes even less. Jennifer was clearly really tired.

We had been kissing, making out, for a huge chunk of the night. We had been rolling over, sometimes me on top of her, sometimes she on top of me. But nothing serious would happen. And that was ok, to both of us.

"Jen," A woman knocked on the bedroom door. "Jen, you up?"

I sat up a bit, looking at the bedroom door. Even though, I knew Jennifer had locked the door, I was still worried she could come in.

"Jen," The woman started pulling and pushing at the door. "Is everything alright? Jen?!"

I looked at my right. "Hey," I started nudging Jennifer. "Wake up," I noticed her opening her eyes slightly. "There's someone at the door for you."

Jennifer blinked a few times before sitting up too. "I'm alright," She managed to say. "I'll be right there."

"Finally, an answer..." And with that, the knocking, pulling and pushing at the door stopped.

Jennifer looked at me. "That was one of my roommates," She got up. "They can't see you."

I got up too, putting on my jacket and shoes. "Why not?"

Jennifer finished putting on her shoes when she looked at me. "Don't you think they'll think it's weird to see a minor in my room?"

"Who cares what they think?"

"I do," She got up again and walked to the door. "Stay here." And with that, she left the room.

I had to fight the urge to actually follow her out of the room. I really didn't see a problem in us being together, but I guess she did. Perhaps she felt ashamed? Humans...

After a few minutes, Jennifer came back again. "Come, hurry," She motioned me to follow her. "Be quiet." She whispered.

I followed after Jennifer, unsure why we had to sneak through her house. I did use this time to look around, though I didn't see much as Jennifer kept urging me to go on.

Before we reached the front door, we'd pass the dining area. Jennifer had warned me about this area and told me to hurry. 

And so, when we passed the dining room, I hurried. But nor Jennifer, nor I was fast enough.

"What are you doing?"

Jennifer and I stood up straight. In front of Jennifer was a woman, who I assumed was the roommate. 

"And who's this?" Another woman asked, also a roommate, I assumed.

Jennifer's face started reddening, a sign that she was nervous. She looked down.

"Let's have some breakfast, shall we?" The two women said as they led us to the dining table. They sat us down and then sat down in front of us. "So, Jen, why don't you tell us who that is?"

I looked from them to Jennifer. "This is Emily," She said, though she sounded very shy. "My..." She stopped, gulping.

"Your...?"

She looked at me then, and I understood immediately. I looked at the women. "I'm her girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" The women seemed surprised. Almost equally surprised as Jennifer, I don't think she expected me to use that term.

"Yeah," I got a hold of Jennifer's hand. "Her girlfriend."

"Yes," Jennifer smiled a bit, she seemed a bit more confident then. "Meet my girlfriend, Emily."

The two women nodded.

Jennifer looked at me. "Emily, meet my roommates," She motioned to them. "This is my cousin, Suzy, and her girlfriend, Riley."

I looked at the two women. Why did those names sound familiar? "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise," They both said, though I could see they were also inspecting me. "Well, we must say, you look like someone we knew."

I gulped a bit, what if these were those two women? "Oh really?"

"Yes," They both came closer, taking a good look at me. "Almost though."

Jennifer and I smiled awkwardly at the two women. I think we both didn't feel comfortable with them around.

"So Emily," Jennifer's cousin, Suzy, came forward. "Why don't you tell us something about yourself?"

I looked at Jennifer, who nodded. I then looked at them again. "Well, I'm 17," Right when I said that, they seemed to be counting something in their head. I didn't know what they'd be counting though. "I used to have issues at home and Jennifer helped me with it."

Suzy nodded as she looked at Riley, giving Riley the opportunity to speak. "What were those issues?"

"Those are personal," I stated, leaning back. "I'm sorry."

"You look so much like some we knew," They both came forward more, observing me closely. "Who are your parents? Perhaps we know them."

I had been taught, by zaezzes mostly, to never say mom's or her name to anyone. "Christina and Amy," I nodded, happy with the fast lie. "I have two moms."

"You were adopted?" Suzy asked.

"No," I sighed, trying to find a way to make a logical story which didn't reveal too much. "Amy is my biological mother."

"And your father?"

"Not in the picture."

"Why not?"

"Don't know."

"Interesting."

"Ok," Jennifer said, breaking the tense atmosphere and the speed round of questions. "We'll be going out," She got up, motioning me to get up as well. "I'll see you two tonight."

"Have a good day," They both said to her. "See you next time, Emily." They said to me, with a hint in their voices.

Jennifer and I walked to her car, we entered and finally released a breath which we both seemed to have been holding in for ages.

Jennifer looked at me. "I'm sorry about that," She sighed. "They've always been protective over me."

"I see that," I smiled at her. "But it's fine, I get that they want to protect you," I leaned in closer. "You're an amazing person after all."

Jennifer smiled too. "You're pretty great too."

"Well, thank you." I smiled as I wrapped my arms around her, leaning in to kiss her. Jennifer held my face, caressing it, before planting her lips onto mine.