•4•

As the days passed and Ace's execution was now a fact not an absurd idea it was like you could see his life being drained from him. All his energy and will to live seemed to abandon him. He was practically hanging from the embodied to the wall, sea-stone handcuffs that held him captive and he seemed to be spacing out a lot.

I hated to see him like that. I wished I could switch with him and die in his place. I told him that one day, after he had ignored my attempts to make a conversation.

"If only I could do something!" I had said with tears filling my eyes. "If only I could somehow change into you and die in your place!" I couldn't understand why, but I loved that man. I loved him the way a little girl loves her father or like a mother loves her son. I wanted him to live, he had to live! But nothing could change the fact that his execution was near.

Ace had replied:

"A man must atone for his sins someday". His words came out barely understandable.

"Then one day they should atone for the sin of killing you!" I had said getting ahold of myself.

Suddenly one day Hannyabal and Magellan brought in one more visitor.

"Both powerful and sublime! The world's most beautiful woman!! The Pirate Empress Boa Hancock herself! Whoo! Whoo!" That was the way Hannyabal had introduced her.

The Pirate Empress was tall with a beautiful hourglass shaped body, and long black shiny hair. Her aura indicated a woman cold and unapproachable. But there she was, looking at Ace.

"What do you want with me?" Ace asked the woman. She replied that she wanted to see the man that was the reason for the upcoming war.

Lies, I thought. I could carefully read her, like I could with any other person. She was hiding something, something she wanted Ace to know.

Suddenly Magellan released Hydra making the prisoners that had started to riot and make comments on Hancock's beautiful appearance shut up. The Empress turned around informing him that she was done talking with Ace.

"Are you serious?" Ace asked loudly and it was the first time in days I had seen his eyes filled with life.

"I see no reason why I should lie!" The woman said and disappeared with the two men.

After the level had finally quieted down Jinbe turned to Ace.

"What did she say?" He asked him.

Ace still in shock raised his eyes a bit. "My brother...! She said he was here!" He muttered deeply troubled.

"That's reckless-!"

"I know! I know Jinbe". Ace replied and I was really surprised to see them react like that.

Someone was coming to save him! Someone cared for him this much that didn't take into consideration his own life!

"Both of you! I need you to promise me something" Ace said. "Will you protect my brother?"

"Ace..." Jinbe muttered. "I can't offer my help to someone just because he is your brother. If he isn't worth it then I'm sorry to say that I won't."

"Believe me." Ace replied and Jinbe nodded. "Pearl?" He asked turning his head to face me.

"I don't see how I can protect someone who breached Impel Down... I can't even protect myself from it's guards!"

Ace took a deep breath. "It is true that he has gotten strong throughout the years... but deep inside he still is a crybaby. Please Pearl... promise me!" He asked again. His voice cracked and I felt a knot inside my throat chocking me. He was asking me to help his brother get over the shock of losing him. It was like telling me: I'll die. So please help him be strong!

"I promise!" I replied and my voice was louder than I indented. No more tears! No more fears! You now need to be strong for someone!

Ace smiled kindly at the sound of these words.

"Thank you". He whispered.

And then that was it. A couple of days later they came inside our cell and took him. No more tears! I kept muttering to myself. But when he tried to escape and yelled his brother's name with a voice filled with despair, it became so hard. But I did it. I didn't sed a tear. When they dragged him in the elevators and I heard them departing I started banging the back of my head against the wall.

"Pearl what are you doing?" I heard Jinbe asking but I kept going.

Lose consciousness, lose consciousness! If I remained awake I would be able to see him being taken to his execution platform with that strange ability of mine. I had to lose sight of him, lose my concentration and the only way I could do that was by falling asleep.

Ignoring Jinbe's snarls I made myself lose consciousness and when I came to I was greeted by an unusual sight.