Chapter Two

Summer POV

The sweet smell of pine and fresh air from the musk of trees cascade the area around me. Inhaling deeply, but exhaling softly I open my eyes from their momentary darkness to the escaping light that shed through the trees. This is what I wanted for my babies. Relaxation and peace. Or maybe that's what I needed. I don't know, but it's beautiful out here and I know my babies are going to enjoy running around this yard.

A rustle in the leaves cause my eyes to jerk to the surrounding bushes. What was that? I search the landscape for the source of the sound, but nothing stood out. It wasn't the wind because it's pretty still out here. Maybe it was a squirrel. They're everywhere out here and I even fed a few of them. They looked so adorable with their mouth full of the almonds I was feeding them, I hope Ryan doesn't mind me giving his food away to the squirrels.

A light chuckle escapes my mouth and I freeze as the rustle comes again and I look around the landscape once more. Nothing. Okay, my ears are no longer playing a game with me. After a bit of struggling, I stand up from the swing set and walk to the sliding doors. I walk inside and turn around, closing the doors. I look up as I lock it and gasp.

A man stood there. He was shirtless with only a pair of jeans on and nothing on his feet. He stared intently at me with his eyes. I couldn't tell the color, but they were dark like his hair. Why is he staring at me like that though? It was a deep gaze of wanting, almost. But, why is he here?

"Ryan!" I yell as I continued to stare at the man. "Ryan, get down here!" I continue to yell for Ryan to come down the stairs and soon I hear his heavy footsteps coming down. "What's wrong?" Ryan asks, but I didn't answer his question until he was standing next to me. "Baby, what's the matter?" He asks I point to the man who hasn't left our yard yet.

"Who is that?" I ask him and he moves me behind him and I peek over his shoulder. "He looks familiar, but I'm going to need you to stay in here. Can you do that for me, Summer?" Ryan asks me, placing his hand on my stomach. "Of course I can," I tell him and he kisses me before unlocking the door and walking out.

I close the door behind me and watch everything that's going on.

Ryan POV

"What are you doing here, Xavier?" I ask my brother as he turns to me with a glare. "What are you doing with my mate?" he growls and my heart stops. I stare into his dark brown eyes as my stomach falls into the pits. "S-Summer is your mate?" I ask him and a ghost smile comes across his face as he turns back to the house. "Summer, that's her name?" he asks me as I take a look to the ground.

"Yeah, that's her name," I mumble. My brother is mated to my fiance. My fiance, the future mother to my kids, and the love of my life is mated to my brother. "What are you to her?" Xavier asks me as I pinch the bridge of my nose to stop an upcoming headache. "She's human, Xavier," I tell him and his eyes harden.

"We're in love and planning on getting married after our twins come into this world," I inform him and he growls at me angrily. "You planned this," he seethes and I scoff. "How am I supposed to know that she was your mate?" I ask him and he groans. "I don't know, but this is no coincidence," Xavier speaks and I roll my eyes.

"This is purely a coincidence, Xavier, and I hate it as much as you. I love Summer and I finally found something on this earth that completes me," I tell him as I look at Summer through the sliding doors. She is my everything and now I'm about to lose her. "Well, she's not meant to complete you. She's meant to complete me and I'm not going to let you keep her from me," Xavier snaps. His voice came out rougher and I knew his wolf was surfacing.

"Look man, now is not the time for this. Come over tomorrow at eleven, you and I can talk and you can meet her. Sound like a plan?" I ask him and he nods. "I'm heading back now, you want me to tell mom and everybody that you're here?" Xavier asks and I sigh. I was planning on surprising everybody, but that doesn't matter because my brother can't hold water. It'll probably be for the best anyway.

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow and mom and everybody sometime this weekend," I tell him before we part ways. I walk inside with my head hung low. I'm not ready for the heartbreak I may have to endure soon. "What's wrong? Who was that?" Summer asks me as she leads me to the couch in the living room. "It was my brother, baby. He's coming over tomorrow," I tell her and her eyebrows knit together.

"Okay, but what's wrong?" She asks and I chuckle. Can't hide anything from this girl. "Nothing, don't worry about it," I tell her and pull her into my lap. With my arms around her stomach, I couldn't help, but notice the contrast of our skin. Her skin tone is far darker mine. She is my piece of dark chocolate and I'm about to lose her. I kiss her arm as she plays with my hair and we both sat in silence.