Chapter Thirteen

Ryan POV

"We lost her scent in the woods and she's not at your home," the trackers tell me as I pace around the living room.

"It's getting ready to rain, we need to find her soon," Xavier orders as more of the guards and trackers spill out of the room.

I turn to my mother with a glare as my dad interrogated her. She was the last person to see Summer, yet she keeps claiming not to know what happened. Not to know why Summer would just disappear.

"This is the last time I'm asking you Kylani, what did you do to that girl?" My dad asks her.

"I don't know why you're mad at me, Summer is not mentally stable. If she left on her own accord then that's her problem," my mother huffs.

I snarl at her. Disrespecting the love of my life in front of me will never be okay with me. My dad stepped in front of to protect my mother, but I couldn't care less.

"My love is not mentally unstable, she was doing just fine today until she came down stairs to talk to you! Now tell me where she is!" I yell at my mother.

She only rolls her eyes and I felt myself leap at her, but my dad slammed me into a nearby wall. My mother is an insufferable old bag and I hate her. She deserves hell.

"Calm down, Ryan, hurting your mother isn't going to bring Summer back. You need to go out and find her," my dad tells me.

"How?! I don't have my wolf, my abilities aren't as strong as Xavier's and I'll never be able to protect her the way he can. I'll never be the right person for her and she'll never continue to love me after our twins are born." I slump and my dad helps me to the ground.

I'm an unfit lover. I'm unshifted wolf. I'm not perfect. I'm not right. I'm not meant for Summer. What lover would just let their other half be with people he doesn't even trust? What if Summer turns up dead? This will all be my fault.

"If all that was true then Summer would've jumped into Xavier's arms when they first met; human or not. She's in love with you and wants you more than anything else in this world," my dad consoles me.

I could only hope he was right. I love Summer with all of my being and would never want anything unjust to happen to her.

"She's here!" Xavier yells.

We rush to the patio door where Gregory was holding a wet and dazed Summer. Xavier wraps a towel around her as Gregory places her on her feet.

"Where she was the rain had already, I'm sorry Xavier and Ryan," Greg apologizes.

"No need for apology, thank you for finding her," Xavier tells him.

With a nod to authority, Gregory left to his family and I hugged mine. The thunder stormed in with darkness, but the rain hasn't reached us yet.

"Summer, where did you go?" I ask her.

She looked to me with an out of touch look. Almost like her mind left her body and we was dealing with her subconscious. She was empty.

"I'm sorry, Ryan, but I can't think right now. I want to go home," she simply tells me.

Her body still rocking back and forth. What happened to her? I take a look at Xavier and he gives me a nod of assurance before I pick her up bridal style and carry her to my car.

That's when a drop of rain hit the top of my head before a crashing landfall of a thousand droplets came down. I couldn't drive in this weather, walking back inside I placed Summer on the couch as she staid in her zombie like mode.

"The rain is crazy outside, so I think we will spend the night here," I explain to Xavier and my dad.

They both nod before dispersing the crowd in the living room. I grab Summer's hand and guide her upstairs to my room. If I wasn't so confused about the day then I would be asking her more questions, but I do think it's for the best that I try figure out more about my surroundings first.

Who I can and can not trust.