Chapter Ten

Ryan POV

"I didn't know females could still go into heat while pregnant," I huff as I sat behind my fathers office desk.

"If she was pregnant with Xavier's babies then she wouldn't have, but since she's pregnant with yours and you're not her mate her heat has begun," Princeton explains as he closes the book in his hands.

I run my hands through my hair in frustration. This is could lead to a lot of problems, one of the main ones being that Summer could involuntarily cheat on me.

A mate-bond is strong and devious and it is obvious that Summer's bond with Xavier is going stronger. Which is odd enough since she is not showing any interest in him at all.

"Hey, calm down. I'm sure your brother is not as stupid as we think he is and will know to take a few steps away from Summer while she goes through this," Princeton tries to comfort me.

"What about his wolf?" I mumble.

This was one of those moments where I wish my wolf would have surfaced and that I had shifted. Then none of this would have been a problem, but what I have met Summer?

"Just put your trust in Ducky, before they left he said he'll give her a salve to cover her smell," Princeton says.

Before I could open my mouth, Xavier walks in with a toothy grin. I never felt a stronger spike of anger stroke at my heart. My hand just wanted to smack him in his face as he sat on the chair next to me.

"Hello father, Hello Ryan, starting a family meeting without me?" Xavier asks.

"We are talking about my fiancé," I sneer.

"Oh! Yes, doesn't she smell delightful," Xavier sighs in a daze as I grip the handle of the chair with all my strength. Trying to stop myself from jumping at his throat.

"Now is not the time, Xavier, this is a serious matter. She can't mate with you meaning every male who doesn't have a mate is going to want to pry their way between her legs," Princeton glares.

Xavier rolls his eyes. I scoff leaning back in the seat. He doesn't care, I know it. My baby brother just wants to watch me suffer because he thinks I stole his mate on purpose.

How the hell am I even supposed to do that? How the hell do you steal a mate on purpose?

"I know which is why I came in here. The guards picked up the smell of rogues by the border, more specifically, in Ryan's backyard," Xavier informs.

My heart drops to the pit of my stomach. Rogues in my backyard? What are they there for? Are they there for Summer? For mr? Whatever the reason it wasn't good and I wouldn't be able to protect Summer at my best.

"I've already scheduled war training for the warrior and guards and have placed two guards around the perimeter of Ryan's house," Xavier says.

Dad and I raise an eyebrow at him as he stood up to leave. Frowning at our reactions.

"Don't look at me that way, I can't let my mate get harmed," Xavier grumbles before walking out of the room.

I huff, slumping in my seat. I want my wolf. Hell, I need him now. I need to protect Summer.

"I can arrange for you to be present during training," Princeton suggests.

I shake my head, "I have to stay with Summer."

"No, you have to learn how to protect her at all costs. Just bring her over to make friends with the family."

I knew there was no backing out then. I nod as I get out of my seat and make my way downstairs to wait on Summer.

"Are you sure dad is going to only target her?" I hear a familiar voice asks.

I pause and look around for where the voice came from.

"Of course, he was going to do it today while Xavier was going over the perimeter, but she wasn't home," I hear my mother say.

What are they talking about? And what is my mother plotting? Finally reaching the room they were in, I peek into the purple illuminated room to see my mother and Kiani standing over a bubbling cauldron.

"She should be home tomorrow," Kiani informs my mother.

My mother laughs, "that doesn't matter."

The sweet smell of Summer enters my nose. Even though I wanted to stay and hear what else my mother and aunt were planning, I needed to get to Summer.

Stepping away from the door, I make my way downstairs to where Summer was standing with an envelope in her hand.

"I was just about to head upstairs to give this envelope to your father. I didn't peek I swear," Summer giggles.

I force a smile and give her a quick peck on the cheek. I have so many other things to worry about than if she knows the gender of our kids or not.

"I trust you, how's your fever?" I ask her.

"Still climbing, but Ducky gave me pills and a salve," Summer explains to me.

"Alright, let's hope they work. Let's take a seat in the kitchen and relax for minute. I think we both need it," I tell her.

Summer nods as we make our way into the kitchen. I decided to get some tea started as everything that was happening around me overwhelmed my brain.