Difficult Beginnings

Chapter 1:

    I walked into the first drivers press conference of the season. The drivers had not yet entered, but the seats in the crowd were filling up with media personnel. I found a seat near the middle of the group and sat down. This was my first time being in a drivers press conference. I’ve been a journalist since I graduated college three years ago, well really I’ve been a journalist since I was editor and chief of my high school news paper, but professionally only three years. I graduated from Yale where I was also editor and chief of the paper in 2011. Then took a rather unexpected and much criticized career choice as a journalist in the motorsports industry. And recently I’ve decided to shock my family and friends again, by taking a job for a F1 Source, one of the top media authorities in formula 1. I’ve always reported on NASCAR or Indy cars. In fact, this will be my first time attending a formula 1 race. I’ve watched it on TV many times, but I have never been to a race.

    I looked up to see the drivers filling into the room and taking their respective seats. I recognized the drivers, Daniel Ricciardo, Kimi Raikkonen, Sebastian Vettel, Nico Rosberg, Nico Hulkenburg, and Romain Grosjean. I reached into my large leather handbag that contained all of my tools of the trade. Note pad, pen, recorder and a small camera. I placed the small black recorder on my knee and pressed the red button that started recording. Then I grabbed my pen and note pad and poised myself, ready to write. As the press conference began I furiously scribbled down notes as each question as asked and answered. Before I knew it the announcement was made that the floor was open now. I looked around curiously at the other reporters, to see who would ask the first question. Would I ask a question? Should I ask a question? What would I even ask?

    “Quinton Andrews, F1 daily.” I one of the reporters near the front spoke up. “Question for Daniel, are you intimidated with this being your home race? You’re the only Australian on the grid this year.”

    “Well, of course there is pressure to do well at home. I’m not intimidated though. We have a great car and a great team and I have confidence we will give it our best and its going to be a great race.” the Aussie with the contagious smile answered.

    Good answer. I thought to myself. I sat back and listened as more questions were asked. It was fast and furious. Finally, a question popped into my head. I leaned forward on the edge of my seat anxiously waiting for Romain to finish answering the question he was ask. I felt a lump form in my throat. I was no longer confident that I could do this. I had to though. As soon as Romain wrapped up his question my hand shot up.

    “Kennedy Blake, F1 Source. Mr. Raikkonen, you’re back at Ferrari. The team you won your world championship with, do you think now that you’re back you will be a contender for the title again this year?” I asked. Kimi rubbed his face tiredly, he looked as if he would rather be anywhere but here.

    “It’s hard to say.” he mumbled. I waited, expecting him to say more but he didn’t and there was an awkward silence in the room.

    “Is that your only comment?” I asked boldly, hoping to ease a bit more out of the Finn.

    “Yes.” he muttered. And that was it, another reporter jumped in to ask the next driver their question. What a bust.

    I leaned back in my chair deflated. How embarrassing. My first press conference, my first question and I couldn’t get more than five words out of the driver. I frowned, feeling so disappointed. Maybe switching jobs had been a mistake, maybe my intuition had been off. I might not be cut out for this. I sat back quietly for the rest of the press conference. It couldn’t end soon enough and when it did I quickly threw my things into my bag and slipped out ahead of the other reporters. I stopped at a table set up in the back of the room with refreshments for the media. I took a bottle of water and headed for the exit. I almost bumped into another journalist when I turned around.