The worst of all

“Hey, Kennedy.” someone called from behind me. I began to turn around, but before I could see who the voice belonged to I was being pulled into a hug from behind. “You look very nice today.” a German voice whispered into my ear. Sending tingles down my spine and causing the hair on the back of my neck to stand up. At least this narrowed down who it could be.

    “And who can I thank for this lovely complement?” I asked, giggling. The strangers hands rested on my hips while their lips hovered dangerously close to my neck.

    “I’m not telling.” the person replied, I was fairly sure now that it was in fact Hulkenberg.

    “Oh, that is a shame because I wanted to give them a kiss.” I said coyly. And suddenly I was being turned around. I found myself face to face with Nico Hulkenberg. I pushed up onto my tippy toes and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. I had to make good on my promise. His blue eyes twinkled as he chuckled at me.

    “How are you today Miss Blake?” he asked, looking down at me.

    “I’m lovely, thank you Nico. How are you?” I asked rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet.

    “Better now that’s you’re here.” Nico smiled.

    “You’re so sweet.” I was sure my face was probably flushed a lovely shade of pink now.

    “So, I was thinking that we should go out tonight.” Hulk suggested.

    “I’d love that.” I smiled.

    “Great, I’ll pick you up at 7.”

---

    Once I was back in my hotel room I plopped down on my bed and flipped open my laptop. I sat staring at the words on the screen. It was the article I had written about Kimi, all in plain black and white print, along with a few scandalous photographs. Finally after looking at the screen for almost five minutes I dragged and dropped the file into an email to my editor.  I took a deep breath, I was still not sure if I could send it or not. The words of the article was scathing, it was harsh, it could ruin his entire image. What image he had at least. I closed my eyes and clicked send. It was done. There was nothing I could do to change it now.

    To get my mind off the despicable thing I had just done I began to get ready for my date. I decided to wear my hair down for once. I used the curling iron to create large curls throughout my silky brown hair. I applied more make-up since it was night time and I picked out a fitted black cocktail dress. As, I was putting my earrings in I heard my phone going off in the other room.

    “Hello?…ow” I answered, bringing my phone to ear and jabbing my earring into my neck in the process.

    “Brilliance. I am in the midst of a genius. I’m not even worthy.” the voice of my editor singing praises came through the mobile phone.

    “So you liked it?” I asked, the corners of my mouth tugging upwards.

    “Liked it? This is the greatest article that the motorsports world will ever witness.” Franz raved. “It will be on the website within the hour and it will run in print in our issue this weekend.” And reality hit my hard. Kimi would know the vile, slanderous things I had written about him within a few hours. His media team would be sure to alert him, and I knew once he was made aware, he would not take it well.

    “I’m glad its what you wanted.” said trying to hide the guilt I felt.

    “You’re going to go far Miss Blake. Have a brilliant evening.” Franz said before hanging up the phone. I let out a sigh. I would go far, but at what price? Who have a become? Just to advance my career. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach over what I had done.

    I was finally startled out of my trance when I heard a knock on the door. I looked down at my antique silver watch, with its mother of pearl face. It was 7:02. Which mean Nico was at the door and it was time for my date. I quickly jumped up from my seat  and slipped on a pair of deep red high heels that matched my lips and I scrambled for the door. I quickly took a few deep breathes and composed myself and then pulled the door open. Nico stood on the other side, looking handsome as ever. Wearing a scarf, a gray sweater and jeans. His hair was perfect as always and he was wearing his glasses. I’ve always been a sucker for a guy with glasses.

    “Well don’t you look handsome?” I asked grinning. I tucked one foot behind my other ankle as I leaned against the door frame.

    “Whatever you say.” he rolled his eyes. “Sorry I had to wear glasses. My contacts were bothering me.” I choked back a laugh.

    “Are you kidding? You are incredibly sexy in your glasses.” this brought a grin to his face.

    “Well if that’s the case then I match me date.” he replied, causing me to blush. “Lets get out of here.” he said linking his arm with mine and escorting me out to a beautiful sleek black sports car.

    We arrived at a very trendy and exclusive bar. I clung to Nico’s arm as we were waved to the front of the line by security and then escorted to the VIP section. There were a few other drivers there, as well as celebrities that were there for the race, and of course plenty of beautiful women who were there in hopes of getting the attention of one of the drivers. It suddenly hit me that Nico was there with me. He could surely be accompanied by any of these stunning woman, but instead he invited me. It seemed surreal. I blinked my eyes a few times, expecting to wake up from this dream any second.

    “Do you want anything to drink?” he asked.

    “Aw, but you can’t because of the race tomorrow. I don’t want to drink if you can’t.” I said, I wasn’t much of a drinker anyway so it didn’t matter.

    “Its fine. I want you to have a good time.” he urged.

    “I’ll have a good time just being with you.” I assured him.

    “Whatever you say.” he chuckled.

    The music was a little more quiet in the VIP area, so we could carry on a conversation. However it was still plenty loud. The lights were dimmed in the seating areas with just a few small lamps placed around, but the dance for was illuminated with bright flashing lights. Some of the other drivers had come over to talk to Nico. I didn’t mind though. I was just happy being with him. Holding his hand, and him turning to me every so soften and winking, or kissing me on the cheek. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

    “I’ve got to use the restroom. I’ll be right back.” I excused myself and headed to the ladies room.

    My path back to the VIP section hugged the wall. I tried to avoid the throngs of sweaty, inebriated people.

    “You wretched woman!” A familiar voice with a thick Finnish accent caused me to stop dead in my tracks. I spun around to find myself face to face with Kimi. His nostrils flared, and his eyes were filled with fire. My breath caught in my throat and I felt paralyzed to do or say anything. “How dare you! You cruel, heartless, devil woman!”

    “Kimi” I cried. I felt like the wind had been knocked out my chest. I just wanted to shrivel up and die.

    “Save it,” he spat. Kimi turned away from me, but then quickly turned back. “You know, I thought you were different.” he shook his head in disgust. “I thought you were actually kind, caring and honest. I though you weren’t like those other snakes in the media, but it turns out you’re the worst of them all.”