Selling your soul

I sat alone at table at the hotel bar. Step one of spying on Kimi. I knew he would wind up here sooner or later. He was a Fin after all. I was nursing my strawberry daiquiri. I knew I had to drink to fit the part and keep my cover, but I needed to be sober to do my job. While I was waiting I sat typing up notes for myself on my blackberry. It sounds sad, but my entire life is on here. If I didn’t have it I wouldn’t know what I was doing.

    “What are you doing here?” I distinctly Finnish voice groaned. I looked up to see Kimi, already holding a beer. Maybe I wasn’t as good at this surveillance thing as I thought. I ran a hand through my long brown hair.

    “Am I not entitled to have a drink Mr. Raikkonen?” I asked, taking another sip of the electric pink liquid. Kimi shrugged, grunted and then walked over to the bar to get another beer. I pretended to look down at my phone, occasionally glancing up at Kimi. I watched him down the last of his beer and then retrieve a new one from the bartender before headed back towards my table and taking a seat. I felt like my heart had stopped. What on earth would compel him to come sit with me. He had done everyone short of professing his personal hatred towards me earlier.

    “Why are you here?” he set his beer down on the table.

    “I already told you.” I picked up my drink and waved it around “drinking.”

    “No. Here, in formula 1. Why are you a formula 1 journalist all of the sudden.” his blue eyes were piercing. 

    “I don’t really see how my career choice matters to you.” I said taking another sip of my drink, being coy.

    “You got to interview me earlier. I’m interviewing you now.” he finished off another bottle and signaled a waitress to bring another.

    “That was hardly what I would call an interview.” I scoffed.

    “Its more than I give most people.” he shrugged.

    “Why are you this way?” I asked then went to take a sip of my drink only to realize it was empty. I frowned and before I could say anything, Kimi was flagging down the waitress to bring me another drink. I guess it would be pointless to argue.

    “No questions. This is my turn to interview.” he said sternly, but I swear I could see the corners of his lips trying to turn up into a smirk.

    “Sorry. Habit.” I smile and drink some more, this one is much stronger. I resist my urge to make a face as the liquid burns my throat.

    “Where are you from?” he asked, looking at me skeptically. This man was so hard to read, he is a mystery to me. And most of the rest of the world I suppose.

    “America.” I say being smart.

    “I can tell that.” he muttered.

    “A very small town in Montana.” I replied. I wasn’t going to give him too much trouble, but after the interview he gave me I can’t make it too easy on him.

    “Where is Montana?” he asked puzzled.

    “Someone needs to work on their geography.” I said with a laugh. “It borders Canada and it kind of near the middle of the country.”

    “Is it nice?” he asked, I was surprised by his curiosity.

    “Not really.” I shrugged, taking another gulp of my drink and instantly regretted it. I crinkled up my nose as the liquid lit my insides on fire. Kimi chuckled.

    “You need to learn to handle your liquor miss Blake.” Kimi tutted.

    “And you need to slow down with your drinking. You know you shouldn’t drink during a race weekend.” I reprimanded, mostly joking though. He is an adult, he can do what he wants and honestly I’m sure everyone knows that Kimi drinks before races.