Flowers

“Sky sports wants to do any interview with you.” Franz said over the phone. I took another bite of my bagel.

    “Why?” I said once I had chewed up my food well enough to do so.

    I currently had my iPhone squeezed between my ear and my shoulder while I was simultaneously eating breakfast and doing my make-up. I leaned into the mirror, applying several generous coats of mascara.

    “They want to interview the woman who had the guts to take it to the iceman.” he said casually. “They would interview you, and then they want to bring Kimi in and that’s it. No problem.” he tried to say the bit about Kimi very quickly, clearly hoping I wouldn’t notice.

    “No.” I said firmly.

    “but,”

    “No way. That’s just asking for trouble.”

    “They really want you to do it.” my boss pleaded with me.

    “Look, I already feel like scum for writing the article in the first place. I’m not going to put myself in the room with a man and have an interviewer drill us about it.” I wasn’t budging.

    “Fine. I’ll tell them you wont do it.” he sighed. “but what it…”

    “No!”

    “Fine, fine. Got it.” he gave up.

    I ended the call and put my phone done to focus on finishing my face. Brushing on some powder and then taking a generous gulp of coffee. I almost spilled the mug when I heard an unexpected knock on the door. I walked out of the hotel bathroom and peeped through the hole in the door.

    “Speak of the devil.” I muttered. Looking down at my attire, a silk camisole and matching shorts. I frowned and grabbed my robe from the bed. Slipping it on and grabbing my cup a coffee, taking another large sip before opening the door.

    “Hi?” I said, very puzzled as to why he was here and to how he found my room and another thousand questions.

    “Hey.” he said in his typical mumble “I just wanted to make sure you were alright… you know after what happened a few weeks ago.”

    “I’m fine Kimi, thanks for checking on me.” I said politely.

    “Can I come in?” he asked, catching me off guard.

    “Um… I mean. I guess so.” I shrugged, stepping out of the way for him to come in.

    He immediately made himself comfortable by plopping down on the bed. My life just keeps getting more strange every day. I stood off to the side, still confused about what was going on.

    “Sky called my press officer, they want me to do an interview about the article you wrote.” he said. There’s the reason.

    “They contacted me too.” I sat down on the arm chair facing the bed. “I turned them down.”

    “Oh…” he said. “Why? You could make even more money off this whole scandal.”

    “Because I already feel terrible for writing that thing in the first place.” I said raising an eyebrow. Had my stance not already been made obvious? I didn’t take pleasure in hurting him, in fact it was just the opposite. My conscious was eating me alive for what I have done.

    “You really regret it… don’t you?” his clear blue eyes had an unreadable emotion behind them.

    “Yeah.” I sighed “I really do.”

    “Well, you’ve just got to put that in the past.” he shrugged “what’s done is done.”

    I almost fell out of my seat.

    “You never cease to surprise me, Raikkonen.”

    “How’s that?” he raised an eyebrow.

    “You never say what I’m expecting you to.”

    “I’m a complex man, Miss Blake.”

    “I hate it when you call me that.” the words spilled out of my mouth before I could catch myself.

    “Miss Blake?” he asked curiously “Hmmm, okay. Kennedy.”

    “You know my first name?” I asked surprised. I couldn’t remember if he had ever called me Kennedy before. His accent made it sounds so different.

    “Of course.” he said was if it couldn’t have been a more obvious fact.

    “My bad.” I shrugged.

    “I guess I don’t have to worry about interview then.”

    “I guess not.” I said.

    An awkward silence built up between us. I took a few more sips of my coffee to try and distract myself. However, I didn’t have much left and I was soon sitting there awkwardly again.

    “Thank you…” I finally spoke “For being there for me. Back in Montreal.”

    “I was in the right place at the right time. No need to thank.” he shrugged.

    “Well, I still appreciate it all the same.” I said looking down at the floor.

    More silence. I wasn’t sure if I should ask him to leave or if I should just sit here until he feels like he has done what he came here to do.

    “Why are you with Hulk?” once again asking the last question I would have expected. This secretive man really is full of surprises.

    “Because I like him?” I hoped this would suffice because I really didn’t know how to go about answering his question.

    “But what if someone else had feelings for you?” he asked.

    “Well… I mean. I’m with Hulk.” I struggled to speak, confused by what he was saying.
    “Okay. I’ve got to go.” He said, getting up quickly.

    “Okay bye.” I barely got out before he was closing the door.

    Strange indeed. I sighed to myself, still a things running through my mind. I was having trouble processing what had just happened. I collapsed onto my bed, feeling the fading warmth of where Kimi had just been.

***

    After a long day of attending media events and interviewing drivers I was thankful to be back at my hotel. I was pulling off my high heels before I could even get the door open. I let the door slam behind me, which then left me in the dark scrambling to find the light switch.

    I finally felt the wall up enough and found the switch and flipped it, illuminated the hotel room. I sighed, letting my hair down from its tight bun. I stopped dead in my tracks when I noticed something different in the room. A gigantic arrangement of flowers sitting on the rooms desk. The flowers were beautiful, all my favorites. Casablancas, hyacinths, dahlias. They were all white. It absolutely breathtaking. I went over to the flowers searching for a card, but found none. They had to be from Nico though. I pulled out my phone, since it was Saturday night and I knew he was too busy to hang out tonight.

    “Hey babe.” he answered the phone.

    “Hey handsome.” I smiled “Thank you for the flowers.”

    “What flowers?” he asked.

    “The ones you sent me?” now I was confused.

    “… I didn’t send any flowers.” he said cautiously.

    “Oh… hmmm. Maybe they were delivered to the wrong room.” I thought aloud,

    “Did they have a card?” he asked.

    “No, none at all. I just assumed they were from you because… I mean who else would send me flowers?”

    Kimi’s words suddenly echoed through my head, “But what if someone else had feelings for you?”. I was suddenly curious. Who else had feelings for me and was sending me flowers? Who would know my favorite flowers? Clearly they knew something about me. They knew that I loved receiving flowers and exactly which flowers I adored. I quickly shook it off. No reason to worry Nico over this. I was with him and I was the happiest I had been in a long time.

    “At any rate, I’m sure it was just a mix up. I’ll call down to the front desk in the morning. Sleep well, love.” I said cheerily.

    “You too. Love you.” he said and hung up.