Digging Deeper

“What you’ve written so far is brilliant.” my editor told me over the phone. I could hear the familiar sound of papers rustling in the background. I smiled to myself, relieved that he actually liked what I sent him.

    “Thank you, I’m glad you like it.” I beamed proudly. I was currently sitting on the hotel bed, wearing my silk robe and applying a generous layer of strawberry cream cheese to my bagel.

    “There needs to be more though. You’re definitely on the right track, but there needs to be a lot more. I’m thinking this will be a feature piece.” Franz said encouragingly. I couldn’t believe it, my first big piece as a feature? “So I need you to really dig. Okay? This could be big. Don’t let me down.” Franz always has a way of not ending our conversations on a good note. Its always a reminder that if I fail on an assignment that I may not be needed anymore.

    “I wont.” I assured him. I ended the call and took a bite of my bagel.

    Halfway through the second bite of my bagel it hit me. I knew exactly how I was going to find out more about Kimi and his secretive life. I quickly jumped up from my bed, reveling in my brilliant plan. I was going to sneak into Kimi’s room. I have to do it today though, during the race. I didn’t have any interviews set up until after the race, so it would be perfect. I smiled at my own genius. Now I just have to figure out how to get in.

    Now fully dressed in a charcoal gray pencil skirt, royal blue blouse and black pumps I approached the front desk of the hotel Kimi was staying in. An official looking clip board in one hand and my phone in the other. I slowly brought it to my ear and pretended to be on the phone. As I reached the desk, I took the phone from my ear and pressed it to my shirt, as if to muffle the speaker. A smiling woman in her thirties stood in front of me.

    “Welcome to the Ritz-Carlton, Kuala Lumpur. How may I help you?” the woman asked in a cheery tone.

    “Yes, please I need your help.” I said desperately “My boss has left something very important in his room and he needs it immediately, but I was rushing so quickly to get over here that I didn’t even think to grab his key card. Could you give me a key to get in?” I asked being very convincing.

    “I’m sorry, but that’s against hotel policy. I can’t give out room keys to anyone that isn’t on the registration.” she responded politely.

    “Please, you don’t understand. He sent me here, to get this and he can’t race without it.” pleaded and then leaned in to the counter “I’ll lose my job” I whispered.

    “I’m sorry.” she said looking genuinely sad that she couldn’t help me.

    Time, to bring out the big guns. I grimaced and brought the phone back to my ear.

    “Kimi, I don’t have the room key and they won’t let me in. its against hotel policy.” I paused. Squeezing my eyes shut as if I were expecting bad news. “Please, I know, I know you’ve been a faithful customer and you stay in the most expensive suite every time you visit.” I paused again and pretended he was yelling more “I’m doing everything I can, please you don’t understand!” I pleaded “No, Kimi I need this job. Don’t do this to me. Please I have a family.” I was so good, tears were now sliding down my face.

    “Wait.” the woman at the front desk said suddenly. She leaned across the desk “I’ll help you.” she whispered.

    “Oh, Kimi. Okay, I’m going to be able to get it. I will be there soon.” I said hurriedly and thankfully. “Yes, yes. I understand.” and I pretended to hang up.

    “You can’t tell anyone, or I’ll get fired.” she whispered. I nodded that I understood. “Okay, what name is it under?’

    “Raikkonen.” I said. Internally I was smiling, but on the outside I was still putting on my show. “Thank you so much, you don’t understand how much you’re helping me. I’m a single mom, and I have to have this job.” I lied, and she believed every second of it.