09 | the guardians

chapter ix of the death season :

" DIE , BLANKET OF DEATH ! "

╓─────────────────────╖

" You know , Star - Lord , Legendary Defender ? "

╙─────────────────────╜

january 11, 2018

outer space

" SO , THE PRINCE OF WAKANDA , HUH ? "

Lisa's thumb stills from where she's been been running it over a worn photograph, her eyes slowly lifting and her head turning towards where Tony awkwardly stands. Peter casually sits on the ground beside Lisa's feet, his metal-covered knees lifted up and his elbows resting on them. Stephen stands a good bit away from them towards the bow of the ship, either wanting to give them their privacy or just wanting to get away from the awkwardness, it really could go either way.

"He's the king now! Actually..." Peter eagerly corrects, his voice losing a lot of enthusiasm when he earns a sharp look from Tony. The boy slowly cringes at his mentor and then glances up at his sister, "Uh, right?"

"Right." Lisa responds quietly, pushing a loose strand of long hair behind her ear, "He had to fight for it and I almost got murdered and things were a little iffy there for a bit, but that's where we are now." Her blue eyes slowly meet Tony's and she gives him a small soft smile, honestly just wanting him to approve, "He's really, really good to us, Dad."

Tony gives a small smirk in return, trying very hard to come off snarky but ending up mostly just sounding protective, "Yeah, he better be."

Lisa gives a quiet snort, rolling her eyes off to the side.

"And you two are..." Rolling his hands forward, Tony really can't quite get the words out, finding that train of thought way too uncomfortable for him to finish.

"Together?" Lisa slowly offers, smirking a little when Tony's face involuntary turns into one of distaste, "Lighten up, Dad! God! When did Tony Stark become such a prude? It all happened not too long after you saw us on the Ferry..."

Her smile fades when Tony glances off to the side, the three in the little circle all very clearly remembering that particular day - probably remembering it better than they all would particularly like.

After a few seconds of this awkwardness, Lisa gives a regretful sigh and motions quickly towards him, "It's not like you were totally in the dark, though, right? I mean, you and Pepper both knew there was something between us... before."

"Yeah, well, last I heard, there actually wasn't something between you." He clips back in a mocking tone before sighing and shaking his head, "How could you not tell me... about any of it?" When she gives him an incredulous look, Tony just rolls his eyes and waves her expression away, "Screw whatever else happened... You made a person, Smalls, and you didn't tell me."

Lisa sucks in a tight breath at her childhood nickname, her incredulous expression falling away until she's just left staring at him for a long second, rubbing her fingers against her repulsors and debating on her answer.