4

"...you'll always look to the sky. look to your home..."

Evergreen gasps and sputters, water falling out of her lips. Her eyes widen as she frantically looks around. She tries to sit up only to be pushed back down.

“Hey, hey, hey,” A soft voice sounds in her ears, “You’re okay. You’re alright.”

“Where-” Evergreen’s voice is scratchy and quiet, “Where’s Bucky? Is he okay?”

“Buck is fine,” The blond man smiles, “He’s okay. But you hit your head pretty hard.”

Ever looks herself over and shuts her eyes for a second, “I’m fine. Broken ribs from falling off the bike yesterday, assuming I’ve been asleep for a couple hours. Sprained wrist from punching the door that was keeping me trapped in that stupid little pod.” Ever rolls her eyes.

“But I’ll be fine in just a bit. Now, where’s Bucky,” Evergreen demands.

“He's still asleep. But I’ll take you to him,” The blond nods. He helps Ever stand and leads her to a room with a large hydraulic press.

The room is dark and dingy and Bucky’s metal arm rests in the press. Ever squats down in front of him. She places her cold fingers on the sides of his cheeks. Looking him over for injuries.

“Oh, Bucky Bear, what have you gotten yourself into this time," Ever whispers under heer breath as she tucks a piece of brown hair behind his ear, "He’ll be fine-”

Ever is cut off by Bucky groaning. He attempts to lift his head, but groans a bit more.

“Oh stop being a baby,” Ever rolls her eyes. She really wants a cigarette right now.

“Steve? Buttercup? ” Bucky glances at the blond and the redhead.

“Which Bucky am I talking to?” ‘Steve’ crosses his arms as a dark skinned man comes in the room.

“Your mom's name was Sarah,” Bucky stares at the floor for a second, until a small grin takes his cheeks, “You used to wear newspapers in your shoes.” Ever blushes at Bucky’s smile. What? He's attractive.

“Can't read that in a museum,” Steve smiles.

“Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?” The dark man looks at Steve like he has two heads.

    “What did I do?” Bucky’s eyes soften and Ever’s heart plummets. Buck was just trying to turn his life around.

“Enough,” Steve says stiffly. Ever shoots him a glare. He is just making Bucky feel worse.

“Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there,” Bucky hangs his head in shame, “All he had to do was say the goddamn words.”

“Hey,” Ever’s voice softens as she places her hands on Bucky’s cheeks, forcing him to look at her, “It’s not your fault, Buck. You know it’s not.” Her voice is soft, but stern. Her green eyes search his blue ones. Don’t think Steve didn’t see it.

    “Who was he?” Steve changes the subject.

“I don't know,” Bucky shakes his head.