8

"... Its hard to hide from the monster when you are one..."

“Again!” Evergreen yells. Wanda grinds her teeth and rolls her eyes.

“This is pointless. You’ve been doing this for years!”

“You asked for my help,” Ever pulls her hands up in surrender, “If you want someone to stop every time you have a small ache or pain, you should’ve asked Steve.”

“Hey,” Natasha pops up on Ever’s side, placing a hand on her shoulder, “Go easy on her.” Ever rolls her eyes and sighs.

“Okay, we’re done for today. I’m going to the bags. If you need me…” Ever takes a second to come up with something, “just scream.” She shrugs and walks off.

A week ago, Wanda came to Ever after watching the freckled girl spar with Bucky, and asked her to teach a bit. So Evergreen has been working endlessly to teach the other girl. It’s just a bit difficult when Ever has been doing this for decades.

Ever starts wrapping her hands before taking to the bag. She grinds her foot into the floor and throws her body weight into her fist, forcing the bag to move. Punch after punch, kick after kick, until she is dripping in sweat and she can’t feel her limbs.

Evergreen pants and pulls the tape off her hands revealing bruises on her knuckles. She looks around and sighs. No one else is in here. She shakes her head and starts towards the exit.

“You know, ice would help the swelling go down,” Steve stands outside the exit, his arms crossed and leaning against the window.

“I’m fine,” Evergreen shakes her head, her ponytail swishing behind her.

“Obviously,” Steve rolls his eyes and smirks.

“Look,” Ever crosses her arms and her eyes become emotionless, “I know you think you know me, or whatever, but you don’t. I said I’m fine, so drop it.” She turns on her heel and walks away.

<>

    “НЕТ! Пожалуйста остановись!” (*No! Please… Stop!”) Ever’s heart plummets into her chest as she kicks her blankets off. Her screams echoing in her room. She suddenly bolts up right, gasping for air. Tears streak her face, but she quickly wipes them away.

    “F-FRIDAY?” She pants out, trying to catch her breath.

    “Yes Miss Evergreen? Is something wrong?” FRIDAY’s cool voice echoes in her room.

    “Is Bucky awake?” Ever stands and grabs the blanket off the couch, wrapping it around her shoulders.

    “No ma’am, he is not. Do you want me to wake him?”

    “No!” She rushes out quickly, “No, don’t wake him up. Just… Just make sure his door is unlocked.”

    “Yes ma’am.” Ever grabs a pack of cigs and her phone, stumbling out of her room towards Bucky’s. The cool tile making her toes curl.

    Her footsteps are light and silent as she opens his door. A pillow is tucked between his arms and his eyes are closed. His eyelashes resting gently against his high cheekbones.

    A small smiles rests on Ever lips as she creeps towards the balcony. She opens the door silently and closes it behind her.

    Her feet dangle over the edge of the balcony as she lights a cigarette.

    “Buttercup?” A raspy voice makes Ever turn. Bucky stands in the doorway, sporting sweatpants and nothing else. You can see the scars where metal meets flesh. Evergreen averts her eyes and blushes.

    “Sorry if I woke you,” Bucky rubs his eyes and sits next to her.

    “You didn’t, I wasn’t sleeping well anyways,” Bucky leans his head on her shoulder and her breath hitches. He has been really touchy-feely latey… And of course she enjoys every second of it. She craves his touch, but flinches when someone gets to close.

    “Hmm,” She hums and places the cigarette in her lips. Closing her eyes and sighing.

    “I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this view,” Bucky stares out at the trees, “There is so much out there.”

    “Yeah,” Evergreen turns her head and blows the smoke away from Bucky.

    “Do you want to talk about it?” Bucky already knows she was having a bad dream. He can just tell from how she is slouching and her eyes are dull.

    “Not really,” Ever smashes the cigarette against the concrete before rest her head on Bucky’s.

    “It’d feel better if you did,” Ever’s eyes drift shut as she listens to his voice.

    “I know,” She breathes out heavily and lays backwards, everything from her knees down hanging off the edge. Staring at the stars.

“You know i’m always here,” Bucky slowly lays down next to her, placing his metal arm under his head.

“I just…” Ever trails off for a second, her eyes glazing over, “It felt so real.”

“Maybe it was,” Bucky offer, turning on his side, and propping up his head in his palm. He can’t take his eyes off hers. The stars seem to live in them.

    Ever subconsciously rubs the scar on her hand. Sometimes it’ll start randomly burning, like right now.

“I-I couldn’t control it-” Bucky cuts her off.

    “It's okay now. You’re safe now,” Bucky's up and pulls her into his strong arms.

    “I’m so sorry,” She wraps her hands in his shirt and starts sobbing, “I’m so sorry.”

    “It’s okay,” Bucky tangles his fingers in her hair and holds her close, “I’ve got you. You’re okay.”