25

"... friends don't lie..."

Evergreen shoots at the target, it’s about 50 yards out. Shredding the middle of the yellow paper. She runs out of ammo and sets the gun down on the ground, taking a deep breath
and rubbing her hands. If she is going to prove him wrong, she has to be good at everything.

She can’t get rusty.

Now she is moving on the knife throwing. She sets up a target about 20 yards out and heads back to her spot. The first hits the ground behind the target and Ever sighs, shaking out her nerves.

The next hits right above the middle of the target. The last hits spot on.
She goes to collect them, noticing the small figure in the distance, heading towards her.

It seems to be Tony.

“It is 20 degrees out and you're in shorts and a sports bra throwing knives at a piece of paper,” He scolds, “Get your ass inside.”

“I’m fine,” Ever walks back to her spot, but Tony just moves in front of the target.

“Go inside, Evergreen,” Tony shivers. He is in sweats and a thin t-shirt.

“I said I’m fine, Stark,” The redhead rolls her eyes, “Now move.”

“I’m trying to keep you from freezing to death,” Tony begins raising his voice as he places his hands on his hips, the snow starting to fall, “I get it that your being a drama queen,
but go inside and do it.”

In one swift movement, a blade flies past his face, landing in the grass a
yard behind him. A stunned Tony turns to look at it, then back at Ever.
His mouth agape and his eyes wide.

“Don’t ever call me a drama queen,” Evergreen growls, the sky darkens and spark rattle around her fingers, “Now I said move.”

“Ever,” Tony uses a bit of a softer tone, noticing the lightning streaking in the sky as the snow falls harder, “Just calm down. We can talk about whatever your going through. We can work it out, I promise.”

“I don’t want to talk about,” Ever’s voice is low and animalistic, “I just want to practice.”

Lightning and thunder crash making her look a bit scarier.

“Good, fine, we don’t have too,” Tony puts his hands up in surrender, “I just need you to calm down.” Evergreen looks around, noticing the damage she is causing.

“I-” She collapse into the snow, curling in on herself, “I’m so sorry. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” She cries into her hands, taking Tony by surprise.

He awkwardly walks towards her, placing a hand on her shoulder, “It’s alright kid, it’s... It's okay.” He pats her shoulder gently, not really knowing what to do.

“I’m sorry,” Evergreen whispers softly, her eyes staring into the soft layer of snow beneath her.

“It’s okay, come on,” Tony grabs her hand, “Let's get up and get you inside. Come on, I won’t wait forever.”

The redhead lets im pull her up, wiping at her tears. Tony gently wraps an arm around her shoulder, leading her back inside.

<><><><><>

Hey,” Steve leans against Ever’s open door. She is sitting on the couch, staring out into the snow.

“Hi,” Her voice is soft and quiet, “you can come in, if you want.”

Steve’s eyebrows come together, blue eyes filling with a mix of confusion and sadness. His feet lead him to the spot next to her on the couch.

“How are you doing?” His tone is light and worrisome.

“I’ve been better,” Ever doesn’t move her eyes from the falling snow. Steve eyes are glued to her freckled face.

“Bucky told me what happened during New Years,” She visibly stiffens, “And Tony told me what happened today.”

“What’s wrong with me?” Evergreen finally looks at him, her eyes seem a bit empty, “I can barely control myself. Bucky left me. My father didn’t take me with him. Seems the only people who actually want me
are HYDRA.”

“Ever…” Steve’s heart breaks as Ever looks back into the snow, “You know that’s not true. Bucky loves you, we all love you. He’s just trying to keep you safe, it’s the same thing with Thor.”

“I just-” Green eyes blink back tears, taking a deep breath, “I can protect myself, I don’t know why no one can see that.”

“They know that, they really do,” Steve scoots closer to her, resting a hand on her shoulder, “They just want to do everything they can to keep you from having to protect yourself.”

“I get that, but Bucky promised me,” Tears start welling up again and Ever has to take a second before continuing, “The first time he kissed me in the gym, he promised he would never leave me alone.”

“I know,” Steve wraps his arm around her shoulder, and in a split second she is crying into his white t-shirt.

Outside the door, Bucky is listening, tears sliding down his cheeks.

<><><><><><>
i'll double update since this was short, i missed a week, and these past few chapters have been trash. sorry dudes.