28

"... a real mother would do anything to protect their child..."

The Warrior sits criss cross on the floor in her hotel room, a lullaby falling softly from her lips as she cleans her guns, getting ready for what's to come.

After she got to Russia, HYDRA went in and wiped her. Completely erasing her memory.

They did some experiments, taking down their psychological walls in her head and allowing her powers to fully develop.

The night she left the base, she murdered the Women and burned it to the ground. Just what HYDRA was afraid of in the beginning.

A cry sounds behind her and she slowly stands, picking up the bundle from the small makeshift crib of pillows.

“It’s okay, my love,” The Warrior coos, “Everything is okay.” She starts singing the lullaby from the beginning.

“Спи, младенец мой прекрасный, Баюшки-баю. Тихо смотрит месяц ясный В колыбель твою. Стану сказывать я сказки, Песенку спою; Ты ж дремли, закрывши глазки,
Баюшки-баю,”
(*Sleep, my beautiful good boy, Bayushki bayu.bQuietly the moon is looking Into your cradle. I will tell you fairy tales And sing you little songs, But you must slumber, with your little eyes closed, Bayushki bayu.*)

It’s a Russian lullaby she learned in the base, she can’t remember the name. The Women would sing it to her as a child. A sick, twisted way to earn her trust.

“Сам узнаешь, будет время, Бранное житье; Смело вденешь ногу в стремя И возьмешь ружье.
Я седельце боевое Шелком разошью…Спи, дитя мое родное, Баюшки-баю.”

(*The time will come when you will learn The soldier's way of life, Boldly you'll place your foot into the stirrup And take the gun. The saddle-cloth for your battle horse I will sew for you from silk. Sleep now, my dear little child, Bayushki bayu…*) Her voice trails off as she lays the bundle back down and goes back to her guns.

<><><><><>

Hours later, the door slams open, not surprising the woman, “Please be quiet, the baby is sleeping.”

Her voice is emotionless as she doesn’t look up from sharpening her dagger.

“Evergreen?” Steve’s voice is gentle as he slowly walks towards her, disregarding the baby comment.

“She isn’t home right now,” Green eyes flick up to a pair of blue ones, “and like I said before, please be quiet.”

“Can you tell us what happened?” Natasha walks past Steve and the Warrior stiffens.

“It doesn’t matter,” Clint steps towards the bed, reaching his hand towards the bundle. In one swift movement, The Warrior throws the knife, leaving a small slice on his hand and a dagger lodged in the wall.

“Don’t touch her,” The redhead growls and stands, quickly walking to the bundle, gently lifting it into her arms, “I just got her to sleep before you barged in.”

“Ever?” Steve stares in disbelief, “Is that…”

“That is not my name,” The Warriors voice is clipped as she slowly lays the baby back down.

“We didn’t come here to fight,” Clint holds up his hands in surrender, “We just want to bring you home.”
“She is my home,” The freckled women stares lovingly at the baby, “Now I have to ask you to leave.”

“We aren’t leaving without you,” A new voice comes from the doorway. There stands a broken man.

“Buck, I told you to stay in the-” The Warrior cuts Steve off by walking towards the brunette.
“Who are you?” Her eyebrows are furrows as she reaches up to touch his face. She doesn’t understand why her body is reacting this way to him. She has the urge to reach out and kiss him. She doesn’t like the sentiment.

“They wiped her,” Bucky’s eyes fill with sorrow as he pulls away from her touch, “She doesn’t know us.”

“I know you,” The girl’s hands slowly start towards the gun in her suit, “The Women told me all about you. Now, I suggest you leave before I make you.”

“I gotta go with Barnes on this one,” Clint takes a small step towards the baby, thank god Bucky hasn’t noticed yet, “We aren’t leaving without you.”

“The I will make you,” In a quick flash, The Warrior has pulled out her gun and placed it against Steve’s forehead. Her arm hooks around his neck as she pulls him to her chest, “Now, I
will not ask again, please leave.”

There is a strangled sound and some small movement. The baby begins to cry.

The redhead lets out a sigh, places the gun back in the holster, and lets Steve go. She heads towards the child and lifts her into her arms gently.

“What is wrong, my love?” She coo’s. Everyone’s jaw drops as they see her go from killer assassin to loving mother in less than a second, “This is why I wanted you to be quiet.”

The Lightning Girl shoots a glare at the unwelcomed company.

Bucky stares in awe and confusion. Wondering how this happened. It couldn’t be his… Right?

“It’s okay,” She bounces on her heels, patting the baby on the back softly, “It’s alright, I’m here now. Everything is okay.”

“What’s her name?” Natasha starts towards the shell of her old friend.

The redhead shifts away from the blonde, tightening her grip.

“Scarlett Grace,” The goddess looks at Nat suspiciously and moves around her to grab another blanket.

“How old is she?” Nat presses, trying to keep her distracted so Steve can get to the table full of weapons.

“Almost two months,” If you think The Warrior didn’t notice Steve’s motions, your an idiot.

Soon, the mother and child are sitting in a chair at the table, the mother feeding her child and gently rocking her.

“But that would mean…” Clint trails off and looks to Bucky, who is frozen, his eyes locked on the baby.

“Blue eyes,” Steve interrupts, “Are those from her father?”

“I…” The Warrior’s eyebrows crumble together, trying to remember something. A pair of ocean blue eyes fall into her vision, “I think so.”

She looks up to the brunette standing by the door. The eyes in her head are sorta like his. Just a bit happier and have a spark in them. They also didn’t have black rings surrounding them.
“Can I hold her?” Nat has been slowly getting closer.

“No,” The freckled woman rolls her eyes, “I’m not stupid. Now, if you’d please leave. I am busy….”

Bucky zones out, no longer listening to her words. He’s a father. He. Is. A. Father.
He can’t believe that he has a little girl with someone who doesn’t even remember him. But, they used protection? How could this even happen?

“Come on Buck,” Steve lays a hand on Bucky’s shoulder, guiding him back to the jet.

After some convincing, The Warrior got them to leave. But they’ll be back. And soon. Like, tomorrow, their coming back to try and convince her again.

Once they leave, The Warrior lets out a sigh and puts Scarlett back down.

She paces for awhile, then an idea comes to her. It’s not a good one.

The only way she’ll be able to live out her days with her baby in peace is if they are gone. All The Avengers do is cause problems and get people hurt.

So If she wants to keep the only thing she loves safe, she’ll have to take them out. Every last one of them.