7

"... If you isolate someone from their friends, you can take away their everything..."

    It’s been a month or two and Evergreen is bored. She hates it here and she misses Bucky. The only person who is here on a consistent basis is Vision. And she can only have so many conversations with him before she gets bored.

    Evergreen and Bucky have talked on the phone almost every night and she just wants him to hold her. She misses her best friend.

    Ever is sitting on her couch. Wallowing in self pity when a knock sounds on her door before it is pushed open. The red head turns to find a familiar blond.

    “Steve!” She jumps up and hugs him. They’ve talked multiple times on the phone and have become good friends.

    “Hey, Ever,” He lifts her off the ground and gives her a tight squeeze.

    “What- when- How?” She is at a loss of words. Steve chuckles and sets her down.

    “I talked it over with Tony. My friend and I will be staying here for awhile. Just, not everyone will know…”

    “Oh my, Steve Rogers is breaking the law,” Evergreen says sarcastically, “Someone get it on camera.” Steve just laughs and shakes his head.

    “I have someone I want you to see,” Ever furrows her eyebrows as Steve starts out of the room. Stopping when she doesn’t follow, “Come on.”

    “Who is it?”

    “Just come on,” Steve grabs her hand and pulls her out of her room and down the hall.

    “Okay, okay,” Ever chuckles. Steve knocks and pushes the door open. Revealing a set of piercing blue eyes and dark hair.

    “Buttercup?” Ever’s heart drops before she throws herself in Bucky’s arms. Tears gather in her eyes as she takes in his familiar scent of metal, Bucky’s cologne, and oak trees.

    Bucky buries his face in her neck, she smells of cigarettes and cheap perfume. Her red hair cover’s his grin.

    “I’ll, uh… I’ll give you guys a minute,” Steve clears his throat and disappears. Ever lets out the breath she didn’t know she was holding and Bucky sets her on the floor, his hands not leaving her waist.

    “How have you been?” Bucky scans her face, finding large purple bruises under her eyes and her freckles popping out on her pale skin.

    “I’m fine,” Ever rolls her eyes, “Where have you been? H-How have you been? You got a new arm?”

    “I’m fine, and my other one got blown up, soo...” Bucky nods, pushing some hair out of Evergreen’s face, “But you’re not fine, so tell me what’s wrong.” Bucky sets on edge of his bed and pulls Ever down next to him.

    “The nightmares are back,” Evergreen’s voice is barely a whisper as she stares at her hands, “mixed with memories. It’s hard to tell what’s real or not…” Ever eyes become blank and her body is ridged.

    Bucky wraps his metal arm around her shoulder and kisses her temple, pulling the girl from her haze, “You’ll be okay. I’m here now.”

    “Thank you, Buck,” Ever sniffs and looks around, before jumping up, “No fair! Your room has a balcony!”

    Bucky chuckles and shakes his head, surprised she can go from depressed to excited puppy in less then a second. In all honesty, Ever just couldn’t show him that she was weak.

    Ever opens the door to the balcony and steps out, gazing at the trees before her. Breathing in the cool air, she lets her eyes flutter shut.

    Evergreen jumps when two warm arms snake around her waist, a forehead pressing against her back.

“Well, you can use it whenever you need,” Bucky mumbles into her back. Ever’s face flushes at the close proximity.

“Thanks,” She clears her throat and pulls a pack of cigarettes from her front pocket, pulling one out and placing it between her lips. Bucky lifts his head lazily at her movements, before scrunching up his nose.

“Really, still into that?” Bucky pulls her arms off her, Evergreen immediately missing his touch, and he plops down on the cement, letting his legs dangle through the bars.

“Yes,” Evergreen sits next to him, bringing a spark to her finger and lighting the cigarette, “I’m still into it.” She takes a drag and Bucky groans when she french inhales.

“You’re going to be the death of me,” Ever rolls her eyes at his comments.

“Oh you would be lost without me,” She shakes her head and laughs. Bucky stares at her, a small smile on his face, just watching her laugh and hold a cigarette in her fingers.

Bucky lets out an airy laugh and lays his head on her shoulder, staring out at the trees. A content smile finds its way on their faces.