22

“So, who’s the special guest Tony has flying in?” Ever turns to Steve, who is making her hot chocolate. She's never had it and everyone says his is the best.

    “Well,” Steve looks a bit nervous, “He's not that special. Just an old friend.”

    “So you know him too?” Ever hops up on a stool.

    “Kinda. He's an Avenger,” Steve sets the hot chocolate in front of her, “One of the originals.”

    “Bruce?” That's her first thought. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she knows she's wrong. But she doesn't want it to be him.

    “No…” Steve's eyes lace with sympathy.

    Ever lets out a deep breath, bracing herself, “Okay. He probably doesn't even know its me. He probably doesn't even remember me.”

    Evergreen tries to rationalize. She tries to make the idea of him go away. Repeating to herself those words, over and over.

<><><><><>

    “What's wrong? You've been to quiet,” Bucky lifts his head from Ever’s pillow. The duo were in her room, Bucky laying on the bed listening to music, and Ever sitting in the splits on the floor, flipping through her notebook and smoking a cigarette. Soft music plays from Evergreen’s phone. Peter gave her some suggestions on Spotify and she got into this band called AJR.

    “Just thinking,” The redhead rereads the memory of Loki over and over again. Trying to trigger something.

    “How do you even sit like that?” Bucky props his head up on his hand, staring at Evergreen in a mix of awe and confusion.

    “I don't know,” Ever shrugs, “I guess its a habit. I do it all the time, i have no idea how you haven't noticed.”

    “Oh, someone is sassy today-” Bucky is cut off by FRIDAY’s cold voice.

    “Mr. Stark requires everyone's presence downstairs to decorate the Christmas tree,” Ever groans and Bucky grabs her from under the arm, pulling her to stand.

    “Do i have to? Tony said he is going to be here,” Bucky chuckles.

    “Yes,” He places his hands on her shoulders, planting a kiss on her forehead, “If i have to go, so do you. Plus, how bad can it really be? You're meeting you dad!” Bucky is trying to get her excited.

    “He probably doesn't even remember me,” Ever complains as Bucky opens the door, shoving her out of the room.

    “You'll be fine,” He wraps an arm around her shoulder, in an attempt to guide her downstairs. But Evergreen plants herself to the floor.

    “I'm not gonna do it,” She is acting like a child, “He probably doesn't even want to see me.”

    Bucky huffs, “You're going whether you like it or not.” Ever eyebrows immediately shoot up.

    “Excuse me?” She crosses her arms, “And whos gonna make me?”

    “Just remember, you asked for this,” In one swift movement, Ever is on Bucky's shoulder, her head hanging upside down.

    “Bucky!” She squeals between giggles, “Put me down!”

    “Not unless you promise you'll go,” He continues walking.

    “James Buchanan Barnes put me down!” Ever laughs, her hair swinging all over the place.

    The rest of the group downstairs hear her and look up in concern.