17

"...Even God's can break sometimes..."

    Ever has been avoiding everyone for the past few weeks. The only reason they know she is alive is they find cigarette buds on the balcony downstairs. Clint has even found her reading a book on the couch before she heard him and disappeared.

    Everyone has had enough of it, so their staging an intervention. Well, everyone but Bucky. He thinks it’s a bad idea and they should just wait until she is ready.

    It’s about 3:30 in the morning when she finally comes downstairs. The only people still awake are Stark, Clint, Natasha, and Steve. Vision left a while back to go tinker with whatever AI’s tinker with.

Ever freezes mid step. There are large bags under her eyes, a cigarette in between her lips, and her hair is in a messy bun. She swiftly turns around to leave, only to find Vision standing there, blocking her from leaving.

“Evergreen,” Tony’s voice rings out, waking Wanda, Sam, Rhodey, and Peter. Who they called in because they know she’ll listen to him, “Nice of you to finally join the living…”

“Hey, Stark,” Ever takes a drag of her cigarette before dipping it in a nearby glass of water, putting it out, “What can I do for you?” Evergreen’s voice is low and tired, matching what she’s feeling. The green eyes that were once filled with life are vacant.

This has happened before, many, many times. Anytime she remembers something she’s done that isn’t too morally based, it happens. She’ll go into a depressed type stage and wallow in self pity before getting really drunk and pretending nothing happened.

“We’re worried about you, Miss Evergreen,” Vision awkwardly sets a hand on her shoulder and leads her to the couch.

    “I’m fine,” Ever sits criss cross between the armrest and Clint, “No need to worry.”

    Steve’s eyebrows start doing ‘The Thing.’ The infamous ‘Eyebrows of Disappointment.’

    “Evergreen-” He sighs and Ever cuts him off.

    “You know what? I don’t need help,” Ever stands and starts towards the exit, “I’m fine. I can take care of myself.”

    “Ever please,” Peter call behind her before she disappears.

<>

    The cold nips at Ever’s fingers. After disappearing, she went to her room to change into blue jeans, a black hoodie, and some converse. Leaving her phone at the base, she grabbed cigarettes and a lighter, and went to the city. Needing some space.

    The city life bustles around her, the electricity and noise buzzing in her ears as she walks. People shout at her, offering free samples and deals on clothes, but she just keeps walking.

    Ever doesn’t try to hide from the camera’s or police, knowing Steve will stop Tony from trying to go get her.

    “Excuse me, little lady?” A tall man with black hair, black eyes, and a tight-fitting suit grabs her arm to stop her. She doesn’t like how strong his grip is.

    “Can I help you?” Ever’s voice is vacant of emotion, along her with her face.

    “I just wanted to tell you how pretty you are,” He lets go of her.

“Thanks,” Evergreen nods and she starts walking again, the man following closely behind.

“So that it? I took time out of MY day to compliment you, and all I get is ‘Thanks’?” He starts to raises his voice, but Ever just ignores him.

    “Oh you have nothing to say?!” Ever rolls her eyes as he starts attracting attention, “Well I lied then. You’re actually really ugly!”

    “Thanks,” Evergreen shrugs her shoulders, shoving her balled up fists in her hoodie pocket.

    “You bitch!” Nobody stops him from grabbing her biceps and slamming her into the brick wall, the breath leaving her lungs, “I was just trying to be nice! But no! Now you’re turning me into the bad guy!”

    Ever takes a deep breath, trying to breathe again. She growls when he slams her back into the bricks again.

    “You ignorant bitch!” He continues screaming in her face and pushing her into the bricks, his hands digging into her arms and leaving marks. People just walk by like nothing is happening.

    Ever opens her mouth to speak, but he cuts her off, “Now you want to say something?! When you’ve already made ME look bad!”

    “Get. Your. Hands. Off. Me.” Ever snarls, her eyes fill with anger.

    “Oh? What can a little girl like you do?” The dark haired man cackles. In the blink of an eye, Ever has him pinned to the ground by his throat. Her eyes flashing a pale blue. The street lights near them flicker for a second.

    Ever furrows her eyebrows and looks around, a few people stare at her in fear. She lets go of his neck and he sputters.

Ever pulls her hood over her head and shoves her sparking hands in her pockets, walking away and trying to gain control.

    “The sun is setting,” She whispers to herself as she ducks into a dark alleyway. Her already bruising back, presses against the walls as she slide to the dirty ground.

    Ever wraps her arms around her knees, tears welling up in her eyes, “The sun is setting.” Her voice cracks as she blinks, the tears flowing over her cheeks.

    “Getting low…” Her voice trails off as she eyes become blank.

    “Oh, my little Evergreen,” A accent flows in her ears, “There is no need to cry.”

    Clear blue eyes fall in her blurred vision, tears falling over her eyes.

    “When is papa coming home?” A small voice cries out, “I want papa!”

    “It’s okay,” Big arms scoop her up and she buries her face in locks of black, “He’ll be home soon, Ever… I promise.”

    “But I want him home now!” More tears fall from the girls eyes, crashing onto a green sleeve.

    Sparks ignite on the girls fingers, making the accent get a bit more worried.

    “Remember what he taught you, Evergreen,” The voice sounds scared, “The sun is setting, it’s getting low. Remember?” Evergreen nods and sniffles.

    “The sun is setting,” Ever’s small voice trembles as she clings to the mystery man.

    “That’s right,” His voice softens as his arms tighten around her, “The sun is setting.” Evergreen calms a bit and the man sets her down.

    “Thanks you, Uncle Loki,” Evergreen swipes at her tears with her yellow robes, as Loki sets his hands on her shoulders.

    “Always remember, even if the sun it setting, it will shine again,” Loki’s blue eyes disintegrate as the memory fades away.

    Ever gasps and grabs her throat, as if trying to force air back into her lungs. That’s the first real memory she’s had of before she fell since she escaped HYDRA.

    For starters, who the hell is Loki? And if that’s her uncle, who is her dad? Evergreen concludes that she has to get back to the base, so that’s where she’s heading.