Sleep

"Jonathan," you mutter, prodding him. You were half awake.

"Hmm?" You feel him shift on the bed.

You both are laying there, finally getting a chance after being so busy the whole entire day. Unfortunately, no matter how tired you are, it seems you just can't fall asleep. Rolling over, you look at the clock: 11:30.

"I can't sleep..." you snuggle up against him.

"So you make me not fall asleep either?" Jonathan complains. "You were saying earlier how tired you were. Now you can't sleep."

"You know it's hard for me sometimes," you bury your head in the crook of his neck and Jonathan sighs, stroking your hair.

"Insomnia?" He's staring at the ceiling.

"I think, that and anxiety. Too much happened today."

"I now," he mutters, kissing the top of you head. "It couldn't be helped. Try taking deep breaths to calm your nerves."

"I've tried that already," you whine, "I need something else to help me."

Jonathan rolls over to face you and smirks, "If you want that, then all you have to do is ask."

"What? I- No! Not that!" You blush and turn away from him.

Jonathan chuckles and gently turns you head so you're looking at him. "Are you sure? It'd take your mind off of what you're thinking about, and make you tired enough afterwards to sleep."

"I don't want... Not now."

"Alright." Jonathan nuzzles your neck. "What do you want then?"

"Just..." you sigh and pull him closer to you. "I liked it when you slept on top of me that one time." You look away from him, focusing on a spot on the wall over his shoulder.

"Like this?" Jonathan rolls you over into your back and moves to part of his body is on top of yours. It's a comfortable weight, and you sigh in content.

"Thank you..."

"Of course," he mutters in your ear.

"I don't know why I like this," you say, shifting deeper into the mattress. "It's just comforting."

"I have theories if you want to hear them."

"Sure..."

"It's called Deep Pressure Stimulation," Jonathan says in your ear, breath tickling it. "It's a type of pressure that helps with calming the nervous system. When you apply this type of pressure to the body, it switches from running the sympathetic nervous system to the parasympathetic nervous system."

"I'm too tired to use my brain to figure out those terms..." You let out a huge yawn.

"It basically switches from the 'fight or flight' response to the 'rest and digest' one," Jonathan says, rubbing your shoulder. "The sympathetic nervous system kicks in when you're facing a stressful situations. When that system takes control for too long, you'll feel anxious, tired, on edge, and irritable. Not to mention you don't sleep as well and your digestive system might act up."

"Uh huh. Well that's certainly me right now..." You're only half listening to him by now, too focused on how tired and comfortable you are.

"The parasympathetic nervous system brings a sense of calm and peace to the mind and body," Jonathan continues, brushing the hair out of your face. "When the it takes over, your heart rate slows, muscles relax, and circulation improves. Ideally, when deep pressure is applied to the body, the parasympathetic nervous system comes online. That's why you're feeling better now."

"Jonathan?"

"Yes?"

"Shut up and let me sleep."

"Of course, my love." Jonathan kisses your head and then rests his between your shoulders.

"I love you," you mutter, eyes closing.