Two's A Company; Three's A Crowd

Ok, I've never written something like this before so I apologize if it's bad. This is also rated Mature for reasons that will be made clear.

XXX

Letting out a groan, you rest your head on the steering wheel of your car heading home from work. Gotham traffic seemed worse than usual today, even some of the back roads. Waiting at the traffic light, you fiddle with the radio before setting on the news report.

"—break out at Arkham," the reporter was saying. "Some of the cities more notorious villains have escaped, including Bane, Catwoman, The Riddler an—"

You turn off the radio with another groan and bang your head lightly on the steering wheel, granting you a few puzzled looks from the others drivers that could see you. This was great. Just great. You knew what it meant when Riddler escaped Arkham. It was easier for him to crash at Jonathan's place considering it was closer to the Asylum than his own hideout on the other end of the city. You really weren't in the mood to deal with the over confident Rogue though. You just wanted to go home, have a nice dinner with your boyfriend and then go to sleep.

Loud honking brought you out of your thoughts.

"Yeah yeah, I'm going," you grumble, hitting the gas as the light turns green.

———

Making it to your apartment (which really was just a front and specialized entrance for you to Jonathan's hideout), you lock the door before making your way to the back. Tossing your things in a chair, you poke around the wall before finding what you were looking for. Once the secret passage is open, you take the stairs two at a time, ending up in a tunnel below street level. Rushing down the corridor, you keep track of the twists and turns, keeping a map of the streets above in your head.

A short bit later, you clamber up a ladder and enter the small library. Shutting the trap door behind you, you bite your lip when you see Riddler lounging in a chair reading a book.

"So lovely to see you, (y/n)," Edward says, glancing up at you.

"Where's Jonathan?" you ask.

"You're not even going to say hi to me?" Riddler pouts.

"Can it, Ed," you say distractedly. "Where's Jonathan?"

"He's around," Edward says vaguely, closing his book and setting it down. "He told me to tell you that he'd be back shortly and that you shouldn't worry."

"I see," you say, "and what exactly are you doing here?"

"I just—"

"Escaped from Arkham," you finished. "I figured as much."

"Then why ask?" Edward asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Clarification to make sure I'm not going crazy," you say sarcastically.

"Well, one would most certainly want to keep that in mind when dating the Scarecrow," Edward says with a nod. "Tell me, why him?"

"What?"

"Why are you dating Jonathan?" Edward asks, studying you.

"I, well..." you just stare at him. "I love him."

"Things are never that simple," Edward argues, standing up. "What was it? His looks? His intelligence? And while his intelligence is admirable, it's nowhere near mine. Nor is his looks."

"You're so full of yourself, Ed," you say with a laugh.

"Oh? Well here's a question, am I more handsome than Jonathan?"