A Change in Emotion [Part 2]

Harvey and Edward stopped arguing and stared at Crane.

"Dude, you ok?" Harvey asked.

"You have wine down your front," Edward observed.

Crane almost snapped at the two but for once held his tongue. He was going to have to get a new shirt after this, possibly a new suit as well. That sucked, but not as much as what he was witnessing right then. He ignored the two next to him, ignored the wine dripping down his shirt, leaving a purple stain, and focused only on Her.

They'd met in college, and had stayed together up until the summer after graduation when She had decided to leave for Europe. He hadn't wanted to lose her, and they'd had a fight about it. Needless to say, that was the last time he saw her. What was she doing back in Gotham now though was a mystery. He found himself hoping she had not heard of him just yet. They'd left off on the wrong foot, but as first love (or really first girlfriends) usually went, such things were disregarded; at least on one side.

He could still feel her against him, like a phantom limb, and if he focused enough on the memory he could see Her in his arms, asleep, a peaceful expression on her face. Crane didn't realize how much he missed her until she appeared in his line of sight. The dress she was wearing was immaculate, bottom floating around her legs on a phantom wind. She was laughing at something, either what someone did, or what they said. Crane couldn't see, people blocking his view. He could only see Her, head thrown back, eyes squeezed shut, long ebony hair swinging.

    She stepped backwards then, to catch her balance. Like nearly every other woman of her standing, she liked shoes; something Crane could never, and didn't particularly want to, understand. She was clutching her drink in her hand, and Crane knew what it was without a doubt. Her favorite, gin and tonic.

    "Who's that?" Harvey asked with interest.

    "Nobody of your concern," Crane said in a clipped voice. He returned his attention to the broken wine glass and set the stem on the bar.

    The bartender noticed and shot Crane a disapproving look. Letting out a sigh, Crane pulled out his wallet and tossed a $50 on the counter next to the broken glass. That should compensate for glass and the spilled wine. At least he hoped it did. If it didn't, Crane would have a bone to pick with Penguin. He didn't want to do something like that unless it was absolutely necessary. Penguin was powerful, and had allies that could easily get rid of Crane without leaving a trace. Better he keep away from those sort of things. Self preservation was more important than being dead.

"Leave it Harvey," Edward said, studying Crane's face. "We should probably go and check on somethings. Didn't Penguin say there was another potential job for us to do?"

Crane had to hand it to Edward, he was surprisingly skilled at lying, and diverting others attention. Maybe that was why he was used often as bait by the other rogues he worked with.

"Fine," Harvey muttered before clapping Crane on the shoulder. "Have fun here by yourself. Don't do anything stupid."

"Why would I ever do something like that?" Crane asked, pushing his glasses up with annoyance.

"Well, that young woman who you'd been staring at is walking over," Harvey said with a shrug. "Thought you'd want to know."

Crane whipped his head around and saw Harvey spoke true. She was coming over to him, and Crane had half a mind to call Harvey back. Maybe if She saw his face, she would run. Unfortunately for him, both Harvey and Edward had melted into the crowd.

He was not afraid, no. The Master of Fear was never afraid, he had a great sense of foreboding and nervousness, not fear. He cleared his throat and glanced at the broken glass on the floor, sweeping it under the bar stool before looking up. Smoothing out his suit, Crane tried to look as dignified as a man with a wine stained shirt could be. His hands shook slightly so he put them behind his back, waiting patiently as She approached.