Gates of Valhalla

Tamie

Tamie

I try not to cry but I can't. I am looking straight ahead and I let the tears run on my cheeks, the feeling inside swelling and pushing the boundaries of my heart.

"Why are you crying, kitten?" Wood asks in agony.

He leans to me and wipes the tears on my cheeks, cupping my face with both hands. I am so small against his rough hands, so defenseless. But as this strong, broken man holds me, I feel safe. I look up to him and I get lost in those eyes. He searches my face and it's as if I am wrapped in a warm blanket on a cold night. If I lean up, I could...

"Kitten?"

"I... I haven't seen the sunset in years," I admit.

His look goes rigid and cold and his grip on me tightens. I regret telling him. He is troubled by his own demons, he doesn't need mine as well. As he closes his eyes and takes one sharp breath to keep his temper, I lift my hand and touch him on the cheek. His skin is soft and contrasts the roughness of his beard. Touching him feels so good, so right. 

His eyes snap open and he dives into mine. I have never seen darker eyes, so mysterious yet so clear. And I have never seen a man so good-looking like he is. The tempest on his face is evident. From anger to something softer, his face has all the range of emotions and I want to know him more, explore him, know him. Read him like the books I like so much. 

"Don't be mad, Wood."

"I am not mad, kitten. I am fucking furious."

"Don't be," I give him a soft smile. "If it wasn't for you, maybe I would have never seen the sunset again. Thank you."

He swallows hard and looks away over my shoulder releasing me from his hands. He cannot find nor peace nor relief. He simply doesn't believe me. I nod to myself and I turn to the sun going down in a splendor of colors, up here where he brought me.

"Uhm... We need to go so we are back at least till midnight. I don't want us to be another night on the road."

"OK," I agree.

I glance one more time at the disappearing sun and I follow him back to the SUV.

He is once quiet on the ride back and I am too. I am scared so much. I am scared to face Iris, to see her again, to talk to her about what I have been through. And even worst, having to face the effects of my incompetence on her.

Here, with him, those hours he has set me free, those were the best of my life. Is it because he is a stranger? Is it because deep down he isn't? For some reason, I want to continue this road trip with him for days, months, years. Never stop, just be with him always, never having to face Iris and what was done to her, never having to tell her what was done to me. And just be with him, his quiet strength and his sweet protection.

At the same time, I long to see my sister, see if that wide smile on her face is real, to see if she is truly well, happily married. to touch her once more and hold her. For now, we just ride.