Promises Made

Tamie

It's been days. Rage and Vince are missing too and I know they are on a mission together. The rest of the Valkyries have pushed for answers but got stone-walled. I try not to make dark thoughts and decide that Kyle was destined for me anyway. If he wasn't a Rider, he would be a SEAL. I would still be seating here waiting for him to come back from some dangerous mission, not knowing if he was alive or dead. It's the price I pay for being with him. And I pay it gladly.

"They will be back soon," Iris says.

It's another day off and we are sunbathing on the garden by the pool. All the Valkyries are here and we are having fun.

The most fun though is watching little Ariadne run around and enjoy herself. She looks exactly like her mother and that is probably the main reason Bjorn spoils her as Ava complained.

"Ari," Ava asks her to eat her fruit.

"Banana!"

"There are other fruits besides bananas, Ariadne. Apples for example."

"Banana."

Ava rolls her eyes and we all laugh at her. She can turn hardened criminals into shaking leaves but she can't get her daughter to eat a slice of apple.

"Yeah, Chiara, I wouldn't laugh so hard. You are up next," Ava says. "And don't think that vibe cause your man is a big mother- man," Ava quickly corrects looking at her daughter, "that he will have any control. The bigger they are, the harder they fall."

We laugh harder and most of all Chiara that for sure has pictured her giant of a man negotiating over fruit.

Instinctively I turn to Lysa. She looks at Ariadne with love and longing. She and Vik are still trying to have a family and I am rooting for her. At least she has a chance, difficult as it may seem.

I drown the tears that threaten to ruin this day. I haven't dared visit the doctor. I dread that he will tell me that I won't be able to be a mother. Ever. At the thought, I smile. Not so long before, I wasn't sure I was to survive the day, never thought I would ever see the light of day, never hold my baby sister into my arms. And yet here I am.

I have more than I ever dreamt of. And most of all Kyle. I have his love and it multiplies every day, making me happier, fuller. Still a child... He would make such a great father I know.

"Wood is calling," Iris wakes me up from my deep thoughts.

I grab the phone with anticipation. His photo is on the screen. I took that photo the day I got the phone. He has that genuine smile on his face and rubs the back of his neck so sweetly.

"Kitten?"

I giggle like an idiot at hearing him say my nickname.

"Where are you?" I ask filled with agony.

"I'll be back tonight, kitten. Listen, is Ava there. She is not answering her phone."

I frown. Is it businessfor the Valkyrie Bonds that took him away from me?

"She is fighting with Ariadne over an apple."

"Tell her to call me," he sounds really panicked.

"Is everything OK?" I get up to talk to him in private.

"Sure, Tamie. Just tell Ava to call me ASAP."

"Kyle?"

"Don't worry, kitten, I am... Shit! I have to go!"

I am left looking at the phone. What was that? Is he in trouble? Where is Rage and Vince? In what dangerous situation has he thrown himself into.

"Ava! Call Wood right away," I say.